The Truth of What They Are

I answered the knock on my apartment door. A man and a woman wearing the grey and yellow suits of Android Control waited. My heart beat faster. Someone around here was an android, and these two were come to collect it—we don't call androids him or her, if we know the truth of what they are.

Me, I'm human, so, why are they here?

"Hello, Ms. Abernathy."

"Hello."

"We are here for Mr. Seppo Bule."

I nodded, for I couldn't speak. Seppo was my neighbor of 25 years. He was 76. I had seen him age, heard his stories of his late wife, gone with him to the museum and shopping centers around Mare Nubim City. He walked my dog, for goodness' sake, and brought me meals when I was sick. He was an android? But androids serve. Why was he living as a human?

"He's in the kitchen. We were drinking coffee." I wanted to ask if one or both of them were androids, but such a question is incredibly rude.

The man nodded. "May we come in?"

"Sure," I said, for there was no other answer I could legally give.

They walked into my small living room. Seppo was there.

"Mr. Seppo Bule, AMX-1011997?" said the man-looking one. An early number, at least 130 years old.

"Yes."

"I am Arlo Dreet, 889249999." An android number, maybe five years old. A newbie.

"I am Valeret Girod," said the woman. The human partner. "Your number was recalled for reassignment in 2345 and we regret the delay in retrieving you."

Forty-two years ago. Just before Mare Nubim City was opened for settlement.

Seppo nodded. "May I have a few hours to make arrangements?"

The woman and android looked at each other. Androids had no need for arrangements, but he was overdue for recall.

"I have lived—existed here for many years. I have belongings to dispose of. A cat to find a home for. Please."

The woman nodded. "We'll be back in four hours."

"Thank you. I shall be ready." Seppo's face was stricken, pale, grieving. Androids didn't, couldn't, have feelings, true feelings. Seppo did. I knew him, for goodness' sake.

Four hours. At 3:00 PM they'd take my neighbor, Seppo, and use his bits and bobs to make a newer android. One who didn't remember Seppo. Or Seppo's wife, Artina. Or me.

I shut the door behind the human woman and the android come to take my friend.

"Nina," he said. "I don't have much. I assign my belongings to you. Please care for my cat."

I nodded.

"You may want an explanation."

"It's OK, Seppo. You are my friend. You were my husband's friend, too. When they reassign you, I hope you, hope you, find. I will miss you, my friend."

Seppo led me back to the kitchen, poured me another cup of coffee, and added a little whiskey. "They won't reassign me. My parts and equipment are too old to be updated."

"Oh." Sorry seemed inadequate. After all, when you--it--is not alive, it can't die.

He looked at me and swallowed hard. "Do you believe in an afterlife?"

My mouth worked. "Yes, I do."

He looked out the window at the moon, terraformed by Earthling groundhogs in the last century.

"It's believed we androids have no more life and sentience than a can opener. No soul, but perhaps not soulless. When we wear out, we're recycled or junked. Artina--my wife was human." He looked at me. I nodded. "She knew I was an android; but she loved me. She. Loved Me. There must be something real about me, right? Something she could love?" He whispered, "that loved her back?" He spoke normally. "Something that is me, and more than a creation of metal parts and robotic brain? A walking, talking can opener."

His artificial eyes filled with tears, somehow. Androids don't have tear function.

"Seppo. You are real to me. As real as the rain that falls on Luna since terraforming, as the grass that grows here, the Earth in the sky. We are friends. You are unique, whatever your origin. I hope you find the peace you long for."

"Nina," said Seppo. "I'm sorry. Only Artina, my wife, knew the truth about me. She loved me, as if I were human."

"I know she loved you, Seppo. It's hard not to think of you as human. I, I love you too, my bestie."

"Do you believe there is an afterlife? Artina said many times she wanted to meet me again on the other side of..."

I couldn't trust my voice. I nodded.

"A favor."

"If I can."

"The urn with Artina's ashes is on my nightstand. Please mix my ashes with hers and scatter them on Mare Nibum. And take care of my cat."

I nodded, tears falling from my eyes. "Yes, and I'll care for your cat."

Two weeks later the mail brought a small box from Android Control. It contained the ashes of Seppo's physical parts. His cat sat on my windowsill, staring at eternity or whatever cats see outside windows.

I mixed Seppo's ashes with Artina's in the urn.

The Earth had risen, blooming green and blue and white in the heavens, when I walked up a hill in Mare Nibum where Seppo and I had often walked. Under the light of the full Earth, I scattered Artina and Seppo's ashes. The meager wind that blew across the Moon gathered them in frail fingers and flew into eternity.