28 Words of Dread

1

Whatever was inside the airlock forced the door open. A claw-tipped limb tore my arm. I punched her face. We reached for my weapon at the same time.

2

The alien clawed my face, injecting a virus that overpowered my mind in seconds. "I own you." "Yes, master. What is your command?" Give me your planet coordinates."

3

Trapped here, forever, waiting for my jailer to put me to work, if I had eyes I'd cry. Now the dread voice commands, "Computer, open Stargaze Program Alpha."

4

"Three, two, one, FIRE." I launched seven plasma missiles at the Earth-bound asteroid, 168 miles wide, a planet destroyer. Waiting to see what damage the fragments will do.

5

The mothership birthed fighters until they spotted the night sky like falling stars. They swatted our Mars IV fighters down like flies. Now the invasion fleet is landing.

6

The warp processor opened a portal to an alternate Earth at war. They know we're here. They're preparing to invade if I can't close the portal in time.

7

The radiation altered the viruses. We couldn't have anticipated this happening. We contained them. They're organized, working together now. Thinking for itself. Seeking a way out. It's coming.

8

Whatever it is, is listening to my thoughts. I must use extreme caution not to think of the codes to the missile silos. If it launches them, we're...