Deos In Occursum

There was silence throughout the camp akin to that after the Prophecy of Seven had been recited. When a demigod receives a bad omen, especially in dream form, news travels fast.

After wringing every detail of the dream out of Jason that she could, Annabeth stepped out to inform Chiron.

"I don't want to cause a panic," Jason said.

Percy smiled wryly at him. "Too late for that."

"It's just a dream."

The smile vanished. "Jason, you know as well as I do that there is no such thing as 'just a dream' for kids like us."

Kids.

Jason sometimes forgot that he was just sixteen and was expected to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. Couldn't the gods get someone older and more responsible to do their dirty work? He could barely drive, let alone face down an entire army.

If it meant protecting Percy and his friends, though, Jason would stand against the world.

Maybe it was the demigod in him.

"You probably dreamed of your own death." Percy's voice snapped him out of his trance. "Jason... You're my best friend, and I don't want..."

"Yeah. I don't either." He paused. "Best friend?"

Percy shook his head. "Only 'cause you're dying," he muttered.

Jason laughed. It felt good after the morning he'd had.

"Hey, I'm serious. I'm giving bro duties to Frank during my eulogy."

That only made Jason laugh harder, but he stopped short when Annabeth threw the door open.

"We're going to Rachel." She had never stopped saying the Oracle's name like that, not since Leo...

A small part of Jason understood. Annabeth needed someone to take the blame, and since Gaia was gone, of course it would be the girl who had warned them. On the other hand...

"Sounds good to me."

If Rachel only had more bad news, Annabeth's anger would only intensify. Jason patted her on the shoulder reassuringly as he passed, Percy hot on his heels.

"I'm coming with."

"No, you're not."

"Yes, I am."

"We could go around in circles like this for hours, Perce, but we both know I have to go alone."

Percy yielded, lightly punching Jason in the shoulder. "Go, then. Before I chase you down."

Jason took off, knowing Percy would make good on his threat. They had been equals in Kansas, but who knew what Percy was capable of now that he'd taken on not one, but two Titans? Besides, Percy had only trained in summers. Jason wasn't risking it.

It didn't take long to reach the little cave that, on a good day, housed Rachel Elizabeth Dare, the scariest person Jason had ever met besides Annabeth and the camp's Oracle.

"I've been expecting you," Rachel said dramatically when he entered.

"Really?"

"I actually have, though," Rachel shot him a shit-eating grin.

Jason groaned. "Please, just read my fortune or whatever."

Rachel reached into her pocket and tossed him a fortune cookie with a panda stamped on the plastic coating. "Frank says these are awful but I love them."

"I'm serious."

"Okay, okay." Rachel shifted to sit cross-legged on her chair. "Just trying to lighten the mood."