Chapter Three

Captain Nash was sitting at her desk, sipping her morning coffee. Her hair was still a mess from the two day incident. She couldn't sleep, her eyes red and slowly dropping. Just another day at the office.
Suddenly she felt a hand pat her on the shoulder causing her to jolt wide awake. The figure giggled and said, "Good morning Nash! Sorry I scared you haha!" Nash waved it off with a hand and smiled, "Emily you know nothing scares me anymore, gonna have to try harder than that." She rubbed her eyes taking another sip of her coffee. Emily playfully pouted, "Awww, can't you just pretend to be scared? For little o' me?" She gave Nash the pleading eyes, Nash always hated it when she did that, mostly because it's too hard not to say no. She sighed finally playing in, "Ah! You got me, wow don't sneak up on me Emily!" She smirked, with Emily finally beaming and bouncing up and down and giving Nash a big o'l hug. Nash wasn't much of a hugger when she joined the police academy, but when she met Emily, she was the only exception.
Emily noticed something off about Nash looking closely at her face details. She finally spoke up and said, "Nash did you sleep at all today? You're drinking that coffee like it's no tomorrow!"
She swiped the coffee away from her desk making Nash guiltily look at her. She said, "No Emily, I did not sleep and I'm sorry I know I'm suppose to be better than this, especially in front of the other rookies." Emily looked at her with curiosity, "What happened?" Nash took a deep breath and explained everything, "Well I was in my squad car with my other unit and all of a sudden I get a call, and that call said something dirty went down in the woods." Emily blurred out, "Murderer?" Nash quickly shook her head, "No not murderer, the perpetrators were one teenage girl and a small child which I suppose was her sister, they never confirmed. Then when I got there I already found one of our guys down on the ground losing a shit tone of blood with the girl standing on top of him." Emily asked, "How did a teenage girl take down one of our finest in the ranks?" Nash shrugged her shoulders, "Point is when tried to prevent anymore loses, she looked like she trusted me, until the commander apparently had one of his guys sedate the girl while she wasn't looking. Emily...she looked scared, she trusted me and she looked at me like I betrayed her."
Nash was now sulking on her desk taking another sip of her coffee. Emily was quiet for a good minute before saying, "Where did they take her?" Nash admitted, "The commander said they took her and her sister too the orphanage for children since their mother was confirmed deceased in a house fire."
Nash all of sudden rose her head from the desk remembering something, "Actually, come to think of it, I'm suppose to go to the same orphanage she's in." Emily tilted her head, "Why?" She showed her the orders in paper form, "Apparently something went down there that requires my full attention. The commander doesn't want to risk anymore men in dealing with this girl, and since I was there he was thinking I had a better shot at reasoning with her." Emily's eyes began shining as she quickly gripped Nash's shoulders, "Can I go!? I've always wanted to join you on at least one mission!"
It was true, Nash never really took Emily on any missions she was ever assigned too, they were after all, from different units where Nash got life threatening tasks and Emily got the easy ones. She had too assume it was because the commander began taking a liking to her that he wanted to keep her safe.
Nash took a deep sigh, "Well, you're gonna have to come with me anyway. The commander wanted me to have backup incase things went south." This made Emily tilt her head even further in concern, "In an orphanage? Is the girl that dangerous?" Nash took a cigarette out of her pocket and asked Emily for a light too which she complied.
She puffed a smoke and said as directly as she could, "Emily. This girl took down one of our men, but that's not all. Her body looks different than what I've seen before, plus she may not be armed, but the human body has a surprising way of making itself a weapon."
Nash finally finished by saying, "Just...be careful when around her, she probably remembers me and as far as I'm concerned she sure as shit will aim straight for the kill."
This made Emily put on a serious face and salute, "I won't let you down Captain, lets go see this little troublemaker!"