(15) Risky Business

Adrianna was slightly appalled at herself for revealing so much information, not even realizing what she was going to say until it had all come tumbling out. Not alone in her astonishment; Adri heard her father crack open a bottle of whiskey.

She'd told them all she was in love with Tomas, without saying it to him first, or even admitting it to herself yet. Holy fuck. But once she realized Nate was going after Tomas, there really hadn't been a reason to hold back anymore. She'd tried calling Tom's cell but he'd probably left it in the Jeep, and then she'd tried Nate's cell, her anger and urgency bringing her parents' attention like nothing else could have.

Logic had told her that there was no point in trying to keep the secret after that, and the romantic part of her had apparently taken care of the rest from there. She felt shaky, finally shutting up now that she'd said everything.

"Here," Her father thrust a drink into her hands.

"What did I just do?" She sipped the whiskey in her glass, letting the burn settle her nerves.

"Told everyone off and announced that you love him in a spectacularly public display worthy of both families," Her father was laughing, despite the drink in his hand he seemed amused.

"Mal, go pour more drinks," her mother redirected, drawing Adri's attention, "You've always been the most cautious of all the kids about your relationships, I really didn't expect you of all of them to pull a public declaration like this. You really are my daughter"

"But it's not...but we haven't even had sex!" she protested as if that mattered.

"Thank god." Her father muttered.

"Your psychology has taught you that intimacy is about so much more than sex," Her mother reminded, neither one hearing the door open with Nate's entrance. "Do you trust him?"

"Of course," her entire life Tom had proven to be a good man, fighting with her was about having the ability to keep up with her, not animosity.

"Do you think he loves you?" Her mother asked, as aware as Adri that he hadn't said it back in the call.

"Yes," he hadn't said it but Tomas had shown it repeatedly, "he would never betray me and he would burn the world down if I was hurt, regardless of the consequences."

"Here, drink." Adri heard her father command, thrusting a glass at her brother now.

Nate didn't look like he'd been in much of a fight, his clothes weren't all that rumpled, and he had no obvious injuries; but Tom wouldn't have been trying to hurt him back. And Nate wouldn't meet her eyes, so she looked to see how battered his knuckles looked. They weren't bloody, the damage couldn't be that bad, but she'd only know for sure when Tomas got here.

"I have put 13 stitches in that man, if I have to do more because of you Nathaniel, you're going to need some too." She could see the guilt and worry on Nate's face, he had never been much of a poker player.

The door opened, her attention snapping from her brother to see what damages Tomas now bore. His face was red, a definite hit landed, but other than some rumpling he didn't look all that bad. "Your ass got patched back together this morning Tomas, did you really have to go..."

"Reinita," he interrupted her," haven't you made enough speeches for one day?" He walked into her parents' home, interrupted her, and basically told her to shut up after she'd said she loved him?

Adrianna was too incensed to realise that Tomas had walked in and kept walking; right up to her until he could put a hand behind her neck and kiss her. Behind her she was certain her family was being a spectacle, but Adri really couldn't give a damn.