C H A P T E R 1: The New Beginning

"Excuse me, sorry..." I mumbled my way through the office, almost spilling the tray of coffee I held with two hands. It landed safely on the head chief's desk and I made a sigh of relief.

I didn't spill it this time!

"Dawson!" The large man barged his way through the busy cubicles, and Aurelia stood frozen in sight. "S-sir?"

The burly man in yellow spandex was what you could call a 'hero'.

In this world where beings with supernatural abilities came to light only a few decades back, the country has managed to stabilize these individuals and build a structure that allows them to participate with police and military in order to build peace and prosperity.

Mr. Spandex is one of the many heroes we employ in INTEV and-

"Duck!"

A colleague of mine yelled, while the rest of us jumped to our desks for cover just as a huge debris crashed into the window of this tall building.

Remember the thing about peace and prosperity earlier?

Well that's not even the half of it. While there was an increase of citizens who wanted to do good with their newfound powers, another side to the story is that all powerful villains have taken action into overthrowing today's current society.

Think of them as those annoying neighbors, common thieves, and serial killers but bigger, badder, and more powerful in the literal sense.

Now back to my current hurdle.

"Are you okay?" I placed the woman's hand on my shoulder, and carried her down the clinic on the next floor.

"Goodness! Thank you Lia," Nurse Cindy rushed over the patient and began examining her vitals. I ran up the office once more to assist those who have been caught by the attack.

I scanned the area and saw a leg under the broken cement.

"Quick! Get a hero over here right now!" My colleague yelled in panic, "-where's Spandex?!"

I glanced towards the edge of the window and saw a mangled figure, missing a few limbs, but the red cape and yellow suit was too notable to miss. I winced, "He's dead."

"Useless fucker! Call the other agency-" I tuned out the noise and stared at the dying man under the debris.

 Is that...?

Taking a small survey of the area, everyone was too busy paying attention to their broken limbs and life to even notice. "Hey chief," I cocked my head to the side, hearing a small wheeze that sounded a bit like a cry for help.

"S-save..." I could hear his breathing now quite loudly, "Save me!"

"It's going to be alright, sir." I smiled in pity.

"H...hurry, lift this off," He rasped out with every strength he can currently muster, which was not so much.

I sat down amidst the flames and commotion, bringing an arm to my chin. "Chief, are you a good guy?"

"W-what?" He coughed out more blood, and I could see the life quickly draining out of him.

"Just wait will you? I have been a loyal employee after all!" I giggled.

"S-save me, please!" He started to cry and I looked at him in curiosity.

Why is he crying?

I grabbed the other end of his hair, making him groan in pain, "Do you think you deserve this?"

"D-dawson just-"

I dropped his head to the ground and gazed out the wreckage, "We're good guys, right chief? We save people, we help them." I struggled to reign in my laughter.

It must have been a silly sight, a girl chuckling to herself while a dying man lied beside her, the cement continuously crushing his bones and internal organs.

"So why didn't you?"

My question was met with complete silence, and I turned to look at the chief whose body just laid there, unmoving.

I dusted my knees, and stood up.

"Don't worry, this will be the last," I sighed,

"I hope."