this is our someday

Val's POV

Another round of laughter went around the table, as Laura and I continued our bickering.

We were having a late celebration of the former's birthday, with Gracie, and surprisingly enough, Aika.

She had told me to bring Aika along after I complained about potentially (surely) becoming a third wheel of the couple.

Dali na para pwedeng double date. She had said, as I rolled my eyes at her, ineffectively hiding the blush that crept up my neck.

I had run the idea by Aika one night, while we were talking on the phone. Except, I hadn't expected her to agree, a "You don't have to go, alam ko namang busy ka right now," already at the tip of my tongue.

The past few weeks had gotten her completely booked and busy, from attending thanksgiving events, to organizing her mom's inauguration, and talks of a project at work she wasn't able to discuss.

We had barely seen each other since landing back home from the States, our weekly lunch dates turned into virtual lunch dates instead.

There was even a time where I had thought of surprising the woman at their unit, but the only people home were her sisters, Tricia and Jillian, who were just as flabbergasted as I was. (I stayed and waited for her nonetheless, but we were only able to catch up for awhile before I had to head back home.)

So really, I was caught off-guard when she had said yes, saying, "It's an excuse to go out with you. Bonus na lang na matagal ko na rin sila hindi nakikita."

Aika excused herself to go to the washroom, with Gracie following suit, leaving only Laura and I at the table.

"You seem happy." I tell her, giving her a genuine smile.

"I am. She makes me happy." she says, donning her own smile before adding, "Kayo ba?"

I raised my eyebrow in silent question.

"Angat buhay na ba talaga lahat?" she says, wiggling her eyebrows in anticipation.

I rolled my eyes at the woman, giving her a look. "Alam mo mas atat ka pa kaysa sakin."

She groans dramatically, leaning back on her chair. "Ang bagal naman pala ng manok ko, hay."

"Wala akong magagawa kung hindi pa siya ready noh. I made her wait for four years, ano naman kung ako maghihintay ngayon diba?"

"So, ano beh forever na ba kayo maghihintayan lang?"

"Sinong naghihintayan, bab?" Gracie said, coming back from the washroom.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, alerting me of the other woman's presence.

Gracie gave her girlfriend a look, telling her she understood the conversation, but also warning her that the woman of the topic was also back with them at the table.

Both women took a seat, ready to engage in the conversation once more.

"Ano yung sale sa Shopee hinihintay lang namin ni Alona. Alam mo naman bab suki na ko ng Payday sale." Lau covered up, earning a chuckle from all of us.