The Dare

"I triple dog dare you to enter the Freak Forest, Slug!" yelled the boy. "And don't tell me you believe in the Korn!"

It was Slug's 14th birthday, and they were hanging out with their friends. He didn't have many, since being a shapeshifter in a rural zone was seen with suspicion and fear. And now, his friend Matt was daring him to go into that forest. "Do you want me dead? I have very little chance of getting out of it!" replied Slug. Matt insisted: "I said triple dog dare, Slug. You're going in the Freak Forest, explore it for a bit, and then get out." Slug attempt to object one last time, just to be cut off by the rest of their friend group.

The youngsters arrived at the edge of the woods. The trunks were as dark as coal, not a single sound coming from it. "Alright, I'll go. But if I don't come back, know it is all your fault, Matt." The boy laughed: "Can't believe you're 14 and still believe in children's stories! Admit it, you believe in the Korn." "Ugh, fine, I do!" The teens laughed at Slug, who continued: "I don't get why people still go inside this forest, it's pretty clear they don't want intruders." "They're beasts, Slug. They don't own this forest. Hell, they don't even exist!"

To stop hearing her friends laugh, Slug dashed into the woods. While running, he couldn't stop thinking about the conversation: does the KoRn even exist? Were their friends right, is the KoRn just a legend to keep children away from the Freak Forest? If they really existed, then maybe he wouldn't survive an encounter. Perhaps with his powers, but Slug just didn't know how to control them, he never received any type of training after all.

"Okay... I'll just spend a couple of hours in this area, and then I'll swiftly come back to my friends. I should come back before sunset too, or-" The teen froze. They could feel something watching them from behind.