05: The Finals

I've been working really hard in rehab for the past few days to persuade Dr. Allegre to let me leave. After all of my efforts, I began taking three to five steps without holding on to the support metal bars. It was a complete success. Although it was not enough to say I was fully healed, my progress was faster than we all assumed.

He actually advised me to use a wheelchair instead of crutches in the meantime for my own safety. That was to prevent using any stairs outside. And just before I left, I tried my luck once more in figuring out how he is related to Khalil. But he didn't give me a serious response, just like in the previous days.

I don't hate him, but I also don't like him. For some reason, he is raising red flags in my mind. If he isn't related to Khalil in any way, why not tell me so I can stop asking? That's why I couldn't help but suspect he had something up his sleeve.

"Kyle Vincent Alegre. That's his full name."

Tumaas ang kilay ko nang magsalita si Ven — pinsan ni Kasimir. Siya ang magdadala sa akin sa arena at magbabantay na rin. Even though she's a year younger than me, she agreed to be my caretaker for the time being. Kung ano man ang sinabi sa kaniya ni Kasimir kanina, wala na akong ideya kung ano 'yon. Nagulat na lang ako nang sabihin nila na siya ang magiging guardian ko.

"He's my brother's old friend."

"Your brother?"

"Oh, I almost forgot. You first met us last year, when you were in your second year of high school. My brother's name is Asclepius. He and Doctor Kyle have been close friends since before I was born."

"Then do you know anything about his family background?"

"I recall him as the youngest and second son of Attorney Kevin Alegre. His older brother is a successful businessman. Kian Vicensio Alegre, if I remember his name correctly. Their age gap is quite huge as well. Mr. Kian was already engaged when my brother and Doctor Kyle met, and then the first heir was born two years later."

"And that first born heir was—"

"Khalil Alegre. Your beloved ex."

Ex? So we really broke up that night. That means the last thing I could remember was our final moments together.

I see. Dr. Alegre is thus Khalil's uncle. Now I understand.

Their family appears to be dealing with a very dark issue on the inside. If my memory serves me right, Khalil used to despise his family and his home due to his parents' affairs. He didn't say anything about his grandfather or uncle. I had no idea the Alegre family had such a large influence in Orikawa City, and that they all had successful names in various fields.

The only question I have now is...

"Where is he?"

"I don't know about that. I've heard some rumors about him, but nothing is credible. I asked Kasimir as well, but he had no idea. The most obvious answer is that he cut ties with all of you and moved to an unknown location."

Napabuntong hininga na lang ako kasabay ng pag-ihip ng malamig na hangin.

"You surely know a lot. Kasimir told me that you moved here last year from Arsonia and attended ESRA-High. May I know for what reason?"