9: Request

Viktor had served a tasty stew, the rich broth loaded with chunks of meat. The meal itself was a quintessential Vallen dish- but the experience had been anything but familiar.

They'd crowded into another of Viktor's spartan rooms, the dining table within just barely big enough to seat everyone.

Hannah had expected the man to depend on his aides for hosting, but she quickly realized Viktor did most of the housework himself- he'd hustled back and forth between the kitchen and the table, distributing utensils, pouring them glasses of ice-cold water.

Eventually, he returned to the table with a massive iron pot. He set it carefully at the middle of the table, and they all breathed in to catch a whiff of the familiar scent. Still, the group exchanged glances- although they'd been given utensils, the table was still largely bare, without a bowl or plate in sight.

Viktor seemed to notice their confusion, because he held up a finger, as if telling them to wait. From a small cupboard pushed against the wall, he took a moment to deliberate, before retrieving a solid block of wood, larger than the pot itself.

They watched, enraptured, as he manipulated the material, shaping the wood. His finger left indents in the material, as if it were clay in his hands- sculpting it into a set of smooth, seamless bowls.

When Basil reached out to take one, he half-expected it to melt unter his fingertips like putty. Instead, the only sensation he could feel was the texture of solid, ordinary wood.

He was startled by a sharp sound- Hannah, of course, was clapping enthusiastically, like they'd just been witness to a special performance. The others blanched, but Viktor grinned, ducked his head a little.

"It saves me time with the dinnerware." he explained, chuckling. "When the meal's over I just return them to their original shape."

It had been the first meal any of them had eaten in hours, and satiating their hunger left very little chatter at the table.

But the food wasn't the only culprit: melancholy thoughts seemed to gather in the air above them, making it clear there wasn't much of a mood for conversation, regardless.

Hannah and the others ate ravenously, but Fela played idly with the candles Viktor had set out on the table earlier. She let the little flames rise hungrily before forcing them to sputter out. Sure, the potencia demanded a significant portion of her thoughts, but a small voice in the back of her mind seemed to be whispering about something else. She wanted to ask Viktor a question regarding something more personal, but her lingering guilt from the outburst earlier stopped her.

The uneasy quiet was maintained as the pot was emptied, the water jugs filled and refilled, until finally Viktor broke the silence by suggesting they return to the lounge they'd first spoken in.

With the gathering darkness, Viktor made sure the screens were shut tight against the dusk, employing Fela to help him illuminate the space with a  host of candles. Hannah found it lent the space a quant, rustic atmosphere- after all, spirits didn't use the potencia-powered lights she was used to.

It was Viktor, once again, who broke the silence. "I'm about to ask you for a lot, Silva."

"I know you are." Her tone may have sounded harsh, but her eyes were solt.

He paused, then spoke again.

"I need you to leave Valle for answers. I can cover for you at the Senate for a while, but time, of course, is of the essence." After the catastrophe, Viktor and his aides had converted the room into a slap-dash operations center, and he gestured to one of the new additions: a poster pinned to one of the walls, depicting a map of Valle.

It was impressive work, with intricate detailing that even marked the various pockets of natural life that ran throughout the streets. Spirit Town was thus etched in a deep green amongst the other well-defined districts. The artist had chosen to include the imposing Valle range, a ring of mountains that served as a buffer against the greater world.

"Every red mark is a dried-up wellspring," he gestured to the points clustered around the western side of Valle. There were more than just the two they knew about. Far more than two, in fact.

"I've been getting reports all day." His shoulders slumped. "I think the map speaks for itself."

"I'll help any way I can." Silva looked adamant now. 'I have a daughter to think about- this is a direct threat against my family."

She sat back, expectant of his response. But instead of looking grateful, Viktor seemed to shrink, looking small, tired.

"Truthfully, Silva, I expected your support." He tried to rally, smiling a little. "I'm just frustrated with myself, more than anything else."

"Why?" Hannah blurted out. She wasn't following the man's distress clearly, especially after Silva had just pledged her support.

"One of the reasons I reached out to your mother," Viktor answered, addressing her, "is because I've never left Valle before. Not once." It was somehow easier to admit this when directed towards the younger women, as opposed to Silva, his political equal.

Silva raised an eyebrow, but she really wasn't all that surprised. Valle was truly a secluded place- the only people who really had a reason to go venturing out were merchants, or people with a penchant for braving the wilds.

"You're the only council member on the Senate who's traveled past the mountains- you were born and raised somewhere else." He searched her with his eyes, almost pleading. "Can you think of anywhere that might have the answers we're looking for?'

She sat there in thought while an unconscious grimace formed, her lips curling.

"There's a place I know that might have the information we need." She said carefully. "It's where I learned the mechanation trade, where the first strider was built. There's a laboratory there that might have looked into this sort of thing. But-" she took a breath here. "Returning there won't exactly be an easy reunion"

"Let me guess," Hannah said, wiggling her fingers at her mother, despite the heavy topic. "You were banished."

"I decided to-" She paused to thump Hannah across the back, the girl snickering to herself, "-leave it all behind, and find a new life for myself." Her voice dropped an octave, her tone more serious. "But for you, Fela, I'll drop it all and leave in a heartbeat."