CHAPTER 9

Silent, awkward, tense 
Someone get me out of here 
... Why is she staring? 

     Kazuha was pretending to pick some non-existent flecks of dust off his sweater, letting the seconds pass by, as he shifted in his seat. Normally, he wouldn't mind sitting in silence. In fact, tranquility was usually a time of peace. But he couldn't say he appreciated this type of atmosphere. It was much too awkward, and he was hoping you'd break it. Kazuha.. admittedly did not have much to discuss with Xiao, considering the fact that he tended to avoid things  concerning him. After a few moments however, he decided to look up at you, only to find that you were already staring at him, your face stamped with a desperate, wordless plea. 

     Kazuha groaned internally. How was he supposed to say no to such a distressed face? He wouldn't exactly consider himself great at hosting a solid discussion, but he supposed he'd have to do for now. He sat up straight, and gave both you and Xiao a pleasant grin. Perhaps he'd start with the main issue at hand?

     "So... What kind of theme are you two going for?" His smile didn't leave his face, his expectant eyes urging the both of you to speak. 

     You winced unintentionally, racking your brain for an answer. "Uhhh..."

     Xiao and Kazuha both gave you their attention, and when you sent them both a helpless shrug, Xiao sighed and leaned back into the sofa. 

     "I was going to do this for my winter comeback, but since that's obviously not happening anymore... I guess we could go for a seasons theme." 

     "Oh, I was actually planning to do something similar for my own personal comeback, just more autumn-centric. That said... " 

     You broke off, your gaze sliding over from Xiao to Kazuha, and when he realized that you were silently asking for permission, he gave you an affirmative smile. Though... That song really was meant exclusively for you.

     Your eyes slipped back to Xiao, addressing him once more. "... We already have an autumn-themed song. If we can keep up the general feel consistently, we might be able to have a distinct storyline for the album as well. That is, if you're willing, Kaede."

     "Oh, no problem at all, don't worry!" 

     "... That would be helpful. If you send me the track, we can devise a few today."

     Relieved, you mouthed a thank you to Kazuha, and pulled out your phone. "Um, Xiao, what's your phone number?"

     "Right, one moment," he muttered, pulling out his own phone. 

     He handed you his phone, with his number displayed at the top, and you saved it as quickly as possible so you could return the device to its waiting owner. 

     "Thank you. I'll make a group chat later with the three of us later."

     "That would be convenient."

     "..."

     Kazuha slowly leaned back into his seat in a subtly dejected manner. He had managed to lead the conversation into one rather important topic, but he hadn't expected it to go silent so soon. Hoping to avoid the suffocating atmosphere from recurring, he cleared his throat, bringing your and Xiao's attention back to himself.

     "Uhh, why don't we take a moment to establish the rules, or the conditions we want fulfilled for the duration of our cooperation?"

     "Oh, uh yes! That sounds like a good idea.. Um Xiao, does anything come to mind?" You were willing to go with anything Kazuha tossed onto the table, and gladly followed suit.