Chapter 1: Cast And Crew

It was a monotonous life for Hayasaka Ai. The sharp ring of her alarm jolting her awake every morning, immediately met with the sharp shrieks of her master's voice piercing her ears like a hot knife through butter.

'Peace and quiet' were words that Hayasaka had long forgotten, always having a task to complete or people to get information on.

"It's all for a good reason," she always tells herself, wanting to believe that the harder she worked now, the less she would have to later.

However, the master she grew up with, Shinomiya Kaguya...

...was the most stubborn girl you could ever meet.

But soon, her repetitive and tedious days would take a turn...for better or for worse.

"I just don't understand, Kaguya-sama, what is so difficult about asking for some of the President's food?" Hayasaka questions, giving Kaguya a confused and somewhat frustrated look.

"I can't ask him for a piece of food like that! It would be the same as a confession!" Kaguya reasons, with Hayasaka rolling her eyes in disbelief.

"How are the two even comparable—" Hayasaka cuts herself off, instead prompting to fold her arms and sink into the carseat, wanting to save energy for the long school day ahead.

"Anyways, you still have the same mission," Kaguya states, her ruby eyes admiring the outside view.

Hayasaka groans in acknowledgement, feeling the sudden stop of the car and gazing over the large academy in front of them.

"We're here. Stay safe, Hayasaka," Kaguya comments, walking off towards the entrance of the school alone.

Hayasaka hops out of the car, patting herself down and double checking her outfit, knowing the type of 'act' she needed to put up.

She slings her bag over her shoulder as she prepares for another day of school. However, what type of transaction would there be...

...without the second party?

—————

"Maki! Hurry up! We're gonna be late!" a boy yells, cuffing his hands onto his mouth amplifying his voice.

"Calmf dofwn!" the girl, Maki, yells back at him, peeking her head out of the kitchen to reveal a piece of burnt toast stuffed in her mouth.

She quickly runs past the boy and out of the door, grabbing him by the wrist as she dashes out.

They make their way into the car, where Maki scarfs down her toast and surprisingly leaving the car crumbless.

"You need to wake up earlier," the boy points out, shoving his phone in her face, denoting the time '8:52'. He watches her roll her eyes and give a sarcastic look.

"It's fine, Ori! After all, we're not late!" Maki defends, pushing the phone away from her face.

"Well I guess it makes sense, you're too busy thinking about Tsubasa and now it's messing with your sleep schedule—"

"It is not!" Maki quickly cuts the boy, now known as 'Ori', off and stomping her foot on the ground, causing the driver to jolt in surprise.

"It was just a joke, Maki-sama," Ori reassures, not wanting to strike a nerve.

"You were doing just fine this morning! For the last time, call me Maki!" she insists, with Ori nodding accordingly.

"I know, I know. I apologize...Shijo-sama," Ori teases, earning a whack on the back of the head. "Ow! What kind of master hits their poor valet!" Ori continues, with Maki's temper rising.

Before Maki can respond, Ori asks her a question. "So what's the plan for today?"

Maki's mood shifts from one of playful anger to one of seriousness, matching Ori. She stares out of the window of the car, as if thinking of a plan.

A small moment passes which makes Ori almost prompt Maki again.

"I need to find out if he has a girlfriend or not," she finally responds, piquing Ori's interest.

"You could just ask him."

"But If I do that, then it'll seem like I'm asking out of romantic interest!" Maki yells in frustration, confusing Ori.

"Isn't...that what you want?" He earns another smack on the back of his head.

"No! It's not like I like him or anything!" Maki continues, with a flustered expression on her face.

"Tsundere," Ori whispers under his breath, sighing as he tries to conjure up a plan for Maki. "Well we can think of a plan later today," Ori reassures, noticing they were now parked in front of the school.

Maki huffs and makes her way out of the vehicle, waving Ori off before stepping into the South Entrance of the school.

Ori begrudgingly makes his way to the Northern Entrance. His walk was usually the same, alone yet chaotic and loud. At least he never felt awkward.

While walking towards his locker, a familiar blonde-haired figure stands beside it putting her items away.

"Well, if it isn't Hayasaka Ai," Ori scowls, with the girl not batting an eye towards him.

"Cha Ori, what a displeasure to see you," Hayasaka snaps back, with Ori rolling his eyes in response.

"Displeasure is all mine," Ori smirks, placing his items into the locker. "Tell me, Hayasaka, is the Shinomiya girl still trying to get in Miyuki's pants?" he scoffs, with Hayasaka clicking her tongue in response.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. What I do know however, is the poor little idiot Shijo is still trying to get Tsubasa's attention," Hayasaka glares at Ori, who sharply exhales at her comment.

Tension begins to build around them as they stare daggers into each other. Ori and Hayasaka both share an extreme distaste for each other, mostly due to the 'Shijo V Shinomiya' rivalry.

"Ai? Class is about to start, what are you doing?" A high-pitched female voice suddenly asks.

"Huh? Oh! Mirin! I was just giving Cha some directions around the school, since he's new and all!" Hayasaka responds, the pitch of her voice growing ten times higher. Ori scoffs at her gyaru act.

He and Hayasaka share one more malicious glance at each other before heading to their respective classes, which...is the same class.

Throughout Ori's first week at Shuchiin, he's been carefully observing his classmates, specifically Hayasaka and her master, Shinomiya Kaguya.

Apart from the dynamic duo, his interest was also piqued by the Student Council president, who he became friends with to keep tabs on Shinomiya.

The class passes by fairly quickly, and Ori quickly makes his way out of the room and towards the lunch area.

Before he makes it far, he sees Tsubasa practically run to the Student Council room, where the President greets him just outside.

Ori furrows his eyebrows in confusion as Tsubasa exclaims something about needing "love advice" to the president.

He processes the information, realizing that it was a perfect chance to give Maki the upper hand in her efforts to make the boy notice her.

Before they can enter the Student Council room, Ori feels his feet approach them without hesitation.

"Mind if I join in on the conversation?"