Breakfast and Coffee

"The name's Juuzou Suzuya, it's a pleasure to meet you," he introduced. I put Hinami down and she walked over to Suzuya and curtsied.

"Welcome to Anteiku, is this your first time here?" she asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, also I heard from your friend here that the sandwiches are amazing."

Hinami smiled at his enthusiasm before shooting me a questionable look, wondering why I recommended him human food, and furthermore why I was hanging out with a human. One of the waitresses walked over. "Hello, welcome to Anteiku, you may sit wherever you like. Oh, Hayate, you left your sweater here, I'll go grab it for you." I thanked her and led Suzuya to my favorite seat; it was a small table with two seats in the back corner of the shop.

We ordered and the waitress, Kaya, gave me my sweatshirt. While we were waiting for our food, Suzuya and I began to get to know each other.

"You're awfully short, how old are you?" I asked, seeing as the white-haired boy was shorter than me.

"I'm 19, and you?" he asked, pretending to look offended at me calling him short.

"18."

We both fell silent for a few moments and I studied his appearance. He had stitches under his right eye, lips, and down his neck. There were also stitches wrapped around his right arm that ended at the tip of his middle finger. "What are the stitches for?"

Suzuya glanced down at his arm as he replied, "I did this myself, I like to see it as a sort of body modification. Many people disagree with me sewing my own skin, but I've been doing this as long as I can remember." He glanced up at me nervously, waiting for my response.

"Honestly, I think it makes you look really cool! It's certainly unique, I really like them," I admitted.

Just then, Kaya walked over and placed two drinks down in front of us. "The sandwiches will be out in a moment."

I pulled my coffee closer to me, bringing my lips to the cup to sip some before lifting it up so it wouldn't spill. Suzuya took a sip of his drink, then looked up at me with a grin. A mustache of whipped cream clung to his face and I stifled a laugh at his childish actions.

"How's your hot chocolate?"

"Shinohara's hot chocolate can't even begin to compare to this!"

"Is that your partner or somethin?"

"Yeah, he's the best! He's so cool, and he practically raised me like I was his own child."

I listened as the boy rambled on about his friend, smiling lightly at him. Kaya came back with the sandwiches and placed them down on the table. "Enjoy."

I tried not to gag at the thought of eating human food. Suzuya grabbed a sandwich and took a bite, his face lighting up in delight. "Wow, you were right! These are delicious," he said.

He gently nudged the plate towards me and I selected the smallest triangle on the plate and took the biggest bite I could, quickly swallowing it before fake chewing a couple of times. I continued this until I finished the sandwich. Trying not to puke at the horrid taste, I chugged the rest of my coffee. I felt the food stuck in my throat and I excused myself, disappearing into the bathroom.

After throwing up the food, I washed my face and rinsed my mouth out, trying to rid my throat of the disgusting taste.

When I returned to the table, there was a single triangle left on the plate. Suzuya was nowhere to be seen, but I noticed a note scrawled on a napkin next to the sandwich plate.

'I'm so sorry, I got a call from work and I had to head straight there, I left a sandwich for you. Oh, and I already paid so you don't hafta worry about that. Hope to see you again soon ~ Juuzou <3'

I frowned as I sat down, though I didn't know why I was sad he left. I should be happy, after all, if I found out he was a ghoul he would kill me.

A tall ginger walked over to me. "Your date ditched you, huh?"

"Nishiki! He's not my date, I barely even know him!" I exclaimed, gently slapping him across the face.

"He does look pretty cool with all those stitches. but just be careful, he might be a Dove," the guy warned, taking Suzuya's empty seat.

I took another sip of coffee before replying, "He is a Dove. I was being chased by them yesterday because apparently I was near a crime scene, even though I was innocent. Then Suzuya, the guy who invited me to breakfast, jumped in and tried to defend me, and he helped me get away. Don't know why he did it honestly, he shoulda just killed me like he does with all people that might be guilty."

Nishiki shrugged. "It sure is a mystery."