one || sunsets and silhouette dreams.

"...And this is a caramel truffle..."

Kaito placed the sweet directly inside his boyfriend's mouth, watching as he chewed and swallowed it. "What do you think?"

"It's..." Shuichi paused, tapping his chin. "Yeah, I really like this one."

Kaito nodded and grinned, then set aside the now empty box of chocolates behind him on the arm of the couch. "Okay, I've got one last surprise for you. You'll love it, I promise. Be right back."

He stood up and planted a kiss on Shuichi's forehead, then made his way to their bedroom.

When he entered, the first thing Kaito did was walk over to his and Shuichi's shared dresser and open his clothes drawer. He sifted through the messily folded clothing on top to reveal a tiny red box; it contained the ring Kaito would propose to Shuichi with.

It hadn't been easy, but he, with the help of his friends, had managed to pool together enough money to pay for it. Even so...

This was going to be a lot more nerve-wracking than he'd thought it'd be, Kaito realized, as he picked up the box with shaky hands.

Could you blame him, though? He would be proposing-on Valentine's Day, no less. What if it was awkward? What if Shuichi didn't feel the same way as he did as far as marriage? What if-

No. Kaito gripped the corners of the dresser, staring at himself intensely in the mirror. It's now or never, Kaito. Whatever happens, happens.

With a bit of newfound courage, Kaito hid the ring in his jacket before making his way back into the living room.

Shuichi still sat on the couch, a smile on his face as he shyly stared down at his lap, and Kaito swore he could feel his heart skip a beat.

God, he's so adorable...

If Kaito wasn't grinning like an idiot already, he definitely was now as he sat down next to Shuichi. Shuichi turned to Kaito with an expectant look, and the latter cleared his throat. "Okay, uh, before I show you the surprise, I wanna tell you something."

"What is it?"

"Well, uh, I..."

So much for not being awkward... Kaito shook away the thought and took a deep breath. "...I like you, Shuichi. A lot."

Shuichi let out a small chuckle. "Well, I would sure hope so. We've been together for almost five years."

Kaito scratched the back of his neck, letting out an awkward chuckle of his own. "Okay, maybe "like" was the wrong word. I love you. Always have, always will. And, uh, the more I think about it, the more I'd like to spend the rest of my life with you. So, I..."

In one swift move, Kaito got onto one knee and held the ring out towards Shuichi. "I want you to marry me, Shuichi."

Instead of an enthusiastic "yes", or even an awkward "uh", Shuichi replied with: "Kaito... There's no ring in there."

"Huh?"

Sure enough, when Kaito checked the box for himself, the ring was and a crumpled-up piece of paper took its place. When he uncrumpled it, he realized that it was a note:

"Sorry, Kaito! Got into some trouble and needed money -Kokichi

Kokichi had the nerve to draw a small doodle of himself holding up the peace sign at the bottom of the note.

White-hot anger bubbled inside of Kaito as he crumpled the note back up again and ripped it apart. He then caught Shuichi's gaze, and he forced himself to take a deep breath. Guess he'd just have to settle for punching the fucker later instead.

"You know what?" Kaito spoke, standing up on both feet now. "We'll just go to the jewelry store and pick you out another ring."

Shuichi blinked. "Are you sure? You don't have to buy have another ring, I'll still marry you without it."

Kaito took Shuichi's hands in his, reassuring violet eyes gazing into Shuichi's golden ones. "Of course. I'll just pay for another ring, and I'll propose to you again afterwards. It won't be surprise anymore, but it's still something, right?"

"Uh, well..." Shuichi stared at Kaito for what seemed like forever, then looked off to the side. "If you're really sure, I guess."

Kaito grinned. "Great! Get ready, and we can head out right now."

-

Author's Note: So, I originally wanted to publish this on Valentine's Day, but I never follow my own deadlines, so... Yeah.

Anyways, this isn't gonna be long, only three chapters. Still, I hope you enjoyed and will let me know what you thought! Ciao!