•°"Back Home"°• (Chapter 2)

Caspar stood before Garreg Mach, quivering with excitement. He looked over to his right, where Linhardt stood. His eyes were full of fear and hesitation. He clearly wasn't willing to go into this battle. Everyone knew it was going to be a bloodbath. Even though Archbishop Rhea, Seteth, and Flayn had already evacuated the monastery and took shelter in Fhaergus, many devout followers of the church would die fighting for Garreg Mach.

Caspar looked down at Linhardt's hands. They were shaking uncontrollably with fear.

Caspar grabbed Linhardt's hand, and squeezed it firmly. Linhardt, surprised, looked at Caspar. Caspar smiled. "Remember what I said. We can't have you dying out there, so I'll protect you. No matter what." He reassured Linhardt.

LINHARDT'S POV

He gazed at Caspar for another moment, his cheeks immediately turned red. Linhardt didn't say anything, just held onto Caspar's hand until the battle started.

Immediately after Edelgard let out the command to attack, Caspar released Linhardt's hand and ran forward, yelling, "FEAR ME!! I. AM. CASPAR VON BERGLIEZ!!" Linhardt sighed. Caspar was obviously going to enjoy this.

Linhardt pulled his tome out, and ran forward into the fray.

TWO HOURS LATER

Linhardt stood, panting. He was covered in blood, and about to pass out. The stench of blood, and the feeling of the warm, sticky liquid all over him sent chills down his spine.

He worriedly looked around the battlefield in search of Caspar. If he died, I'd never forgive myself. Linhardt thought.

"Hey!! Linhardt!"

Linhardt turned around, pleasantly surprised to spot Caspar running toward him. However, Linhardt was not given much of a warning before Caspar barreled into him, toppling the both of them over.

Caspar was over top of Linhardt, his arms on either side of Linhardt's head. Linhardt stared up at Caspar, their eyes locking. They gazed at each other, getting lost in each other's eyes.

Caspar, obviously embarrassed, got up. Linhardt staggered upward, flustered. His mind was whirling.

Edelgard, covered in blood and limping, trudged to the center of the cathedral. She held her axe, up in the air, and yelled to the army, "We have won! Garreg Mach is ours!"

The empire army erupted into deafening yells of victory. Soldiers were hugging, jumping, some even kissing. Linhardt covered his ears, it was far too noisy for his liking. However, warmth spread through him once he realized that, the battle was finally over. The war was far from finished, however Garreg Mach was going to help them tremendously with taking down the Holy Kingdom of Fhaergus and the church. Linhardt uncovered his ears. He didn't join in the caterwauls of victory, but he smiled. He looked at Caspar to his right.

Just then, Caspar stepped forward and clasped both of Linhardt's hands firmly together, his eyes filled with excitement.

"We finally captured Garreg Mach! And we both made it out alive!!"

Linhardt laughed. "All thanks to you. You were hanging around me the whole time like a vulture around its prey!"

Caspar's face turned red, and he looked away from Linhardt. "Well, we can't have our resident healer dying." he huffed. Linhardt sighed. "Goodness, it's tiring being so important in the army. I almost wish I wasn't any good at fighting at all. That way I wouldn't have to be in the battlefield all the time." he groaned. Caspar rolled his eyes while releasing his grip on Linhardt's hands. "C'mon, have a little dignity! You're basically keeping us all alive." he laughed. Linhardt shook his head. "You're one of the best fighters we have, besides your dad and Edelgard." he told Caspar.