Danger

Next Saturday came, I turned 17, had a big party. Edie came round and we celebrated. Then, the night came, we went to Bill's, and had a sleepover.

I invited her into bed with me, we lay shoulder to shoulder, bare. But when I lowered myself down on top of her, I could feel every point digging into me, she was worse than before. She winced as I shifted. Was I hurting her? I don't know, it was very dark.

We woke up together, still bare shoulder to bare shoulder.
She kissed me on the cheek, then whispered: "We forgot to use them."

I gasped and sat up. Then I realized the condoms were still at the bottom of my overnight bag. I groaned and passed a hand over my face.

"Jeez. I'm so sorry, Edie. D'you think you'll be alright?" I asked, generally worried.

She shrugged, pretending not to care, but she was scared, I could see it. She got up from the bed, her skinny body just a dark silhouette. She popped some clothes on, tied her hair up in a messy bun, her side fringe covering one eye.

"I've got to go, sweetheart, I'll see you tomorrow." She whispered.

"Will you be alright?" I asked.

"Love you, sweets." She murmured and went out of the room. I worried, what if we accidentally made it, what if we really did it? How bad would it be, the consequences, would she get hit?

I walked home that morning, not focusing on the real world. Mum was feeding the baby, dad was watching TV.

"Thomas, darling, how was it?" Mum asked. I stopped, feeling their eyes pour into the back of my head.

"Fine." I mumbled.

"How's Edie?" She asked. Did she know?

"Good." I replied and went up to my bedroom. But my father, tall and strong, all knowing too, came up to me and laid a hand on my shoulder.

"You look tired, son, did you sleep at all?" He enquired.

"Yes, I slept, I slept. The bed was hard, so now I'm a bit sore." I replied. It wasn't the bed, it was Edith's bones, her ribs digging into me, her elbows poking my sides. I went on my way up the stairs, to my room to escape the suspicious eyes of my dad.

My mum didn't suspect, she just thought I was permanently depressed, she thought I needed help. But the things I did, the choices I made, they weren't the best, they were rather a little stupid. I hid the things we forgot to use, buried them deep deep down into a place where they would not be found. I kicked the bed, could I be the reason for Edie's end?

Later on, I got a call from her. She said her dad wasn't home, he was out drinking and having fun. She asked if she could come round.

"Of Course!" I exclaimed, with a happy smile, glad she wanted to come, to see me more. And so a few minutes later, she appeared at the front door.

My mum gasped with delight, forgetting to hide her bare bust, my face turned bright red and I tried to hide her.

Edie shook her head and smiled.

"I've had to teach new mother's how to feed, don't worry." She assured me with a wink.

"Want to go out?" I asked, looking at my parents. They both nodded, and so did she. So, with our hands held together, we went to the local park.

We sat on our favorite bench, under an oak tree. I put my arm around her and kissed her head.

She simpered, pulling her cream coloured jumper over her hands. I stopped her though and peeled the sleeves back. She pulled her hands back, hugging herself and nearly in tears. However, I saw what she had, her hands bloody and raw.

"Edie, baby, what has he done to you?" I enquired.

She sighed deeply and shook her head.

"Nothing to worry about, Tommie dear." She replied softly.

I couldn't get anything out, not for the whole afternoon. We walked for a while, going round and round in circles, just like the thoughts in my head. Once it closed in on supper time, I escorted her home, walking down the concrete road, holding her hand and feeling every bone.

She tucked her curtain side fringe behind her ear and gave me a small, shy smile.

"I suppose I will see you tomorrow." She murmured and kissed me on the cheek.

Before I could give my goodbye, she was gone, the grey door closing slowly and clicking shut.

I sighed deeply. She didn't deserve to go in there, her father didn't deserve to have her. She was too beautiful, too good, too innocent. I shook my head and stooped to tie my shoe lace as slow as I possibly could, when I heard the argument begin, and the frightened, soft voice of my dear Edie.

"Nothing, sir... I... I just walked. Nothing more." She stammered desperately. I stood up to listen in, pressing my ear by the door.

"Turn around, look at you! Come 'ere." Her father barked. "Ha! What's this down here then? Look at this. Fat. That's what you are. Get on the treadmill, and you'll 'ave half the salad I leave over for you." He growled.

Then. Slap. Screams. Cries. Shouts of help.

I tried to get in but the door was locked. And then I peered through the window, once the brawl had cooled down. There was Edith, lying on the floor. Not moving. I stood there until I knew she's awake.

At last she sat up, her nose bleeding, her cheeks red and her mouth also pouring out blood. She stood up shakily, pulling her cream cardigan further over her, rolling her neck about and running off, looking frightened and tortured.

I shakily made my way home, her pain bruising me, her shouts haunting my ears. I walked through the front door of my own home, suddenly feeling grateful. The baby cried upstairs, mum and dad rushing about like headless chickens, not even knowing I'm there.

"Mum? Dad? I'm home!" I called. Dad popped down the stairs.

"Son, get the nappies." He ordered and rushed back upstairs. I rolled my eyes, pulled my black hood over me and stopped off to the kitchen draws, pulling out the nappies. I lobbed them up the stairs and they bounced on the landing. "There up!" I yelled, and plonked myself on the sofa.

Was Edie alright? Maybe I should go have a look and see. No. Too dangerous. But then again, she was in more danger than me.