Terra: Cucumber-Cool

Note: This chapter discusses eating and unusual eating habits. If that makes you uncomfortable, feel free to skip.

"Do you always eat the same thing?"

Hunter scrunched his face up and Terra couldn't help but titter as she returned to tending the gardens in the windowsill. "That must be your fourth slice of bread."

"I don't remember asking for your opinion, Head-Witch Snapdragon," he scoffed. He tied up the bag and put it back in the cabinet.

"I just don't want the Emperor's golden boy getting sick on a mission," She said.

"Like hell you don't," he replied, pulling the crust off.

"My dear, and you only eat half of it, too," she sighed.

"The crust is hard," he said, "It feels weird on my teeth."

"How tragic." She tapped one of the pots, and the small green buds on the plant inside quickly transformed into ripe red tomatoes. "I don't understand why you can't just eat lunch with the rest of us. Too good for your old man's coworkers?"

"Minions," he corrected, "And why would I do that?"

"It's less little trips," she said.

"Yeah, but lunch is such a big deal. You have all these steps to break up a meal into, it doesn't even make sense."

"If you're confused about how to cook a meal I'd hate to see you on the field."

"It's not confusing!" He snapped. "I just mean, all this time is better spent training or scouting. I could spend half an hour, an hour, two hours cooking food every day—" he shuddered, "With all those smells and that grease, or, I could take some bread from the cabinet and be done. Much less energy."

"If you add up all the time you spend grabbing bread, you could make a wholesome meal with vegetables and fruits." She tossed a small apple at him. He caught it and crushed it in one hand.

"Please. All that 'wholesome' food is disgusting," he said.

"Oh no! Sweet, fresh plants full of nutrients," she said sarcastically.

"Why would I—? Never mind," he said, "I don't expect you to understand, you have time for those experiences with your dilly-dallying job."

"Oh, you don't have time to eat plants, now? When's it end?" She pruned one of her little berry bushes. "You can just say you're picky, Starfruit."

She didn't hear a retort. She kept on clipping her plants, watering her succulents; but even as long as it went on, the space for an answer never felt like it died, and she never let herself relax until she stared at Hunter twiddling with his thumbs. "Cattail got your tongue?" She asked finally.

"I just don't speak to idiots."

"Oh, burn. Where did you get that one, the Owl Lady?" She laughed in the back of her throat. He was still holding his bread. She squinted. "You aren't...actually bothered by me calling you picky, are you?"

"That's none of your business," he said, leaning further into the cabinets.

"You think it annoys Belos," she said. "Don't you?"

"It does," he said. "He hates when I don't want to eat something. I should be doing better for him, I mean, it's just a silly, harmless meal."

"I'll tell you what," Terra said. "The Emperor hates when I add seasonings to my food."

"Huh?"

"I grow my own spices," she explained, "And I put them on everything. He thinks it's silly, and that if I can't eat bland food, I'll never survive."

"I can only eat bland food," Hunter said.

"Mhm?"

"I don't really like sweet things, it makes my mouth feel all sticky," he said. "Same with oil, it's like I can never get greasy textures off my skin or out of my mouth. And leafy textures just feel too light and weird on my teeth. It's the same with fruit and vegetable peels."

"Hmm..." she thought. "I guess that makes sense."

"So you'll stop bugging me about not eating my salad?"

"Absolutely not." He huffed. "But," she said, "If you want, I have some ideas on how to get some more nutrients in without it being so scary. You know what I did for Lillian Clawthorne when she first joined the coven? I'd mash up sweet potato and bake them into brownies; couldn't taste or feel them. Or blend carrots and beans into different sauces. Or let her try a little at a time. Watch this." She tapped her basket, and a bunch of fruits and vegetables flew into it from her window garden. She rummaged through it, and then smiled. "Ah. Here." She took out a cucumber and sliced some off the end. "Try some of the flesh. It's not the healthiest vegetable, but it doesn't taste like much and it's good at keeping you hydrated."

He reluctantly took a small bite. Then, another. "Oh," he said, "This isn't bad."

"Of course it's not, I grew it," she said. "Just, remember, Starfruit. You aren't in a survival situation right now, and all food is better than going hungry." She cleared her throat. "So, you won't be forced to eat lettuce. Not yet."

"This feels vaguely threatening," he said.

"Is all the best advice?"

If Hunter noticed the lemon in his water or the faint taste of spinach in certain pasta sauces, he didn't say anything. And if Terra stopped requesting casserole night so often, if only to avoid watching Hunter tediously separate everything within, that was her business.