Chapter 6

Death works in funny ways.

He walks amongst everyone and chooses almost carelessly, while at the same time with precision. Some have cheated death out of his tribute, some have encountered him too soon, some have willingly walked into his clutch, and the last of them struggle against him willing, begging, pleading to be allowed to stay.

You feel the tug towards Death's familiar grasp (you've seen him before), except this time you don't want to go. You don't want him to take you, which likely means he's going to want to this time.

( Do it - they said, but when after you tried they said they never wanted it, liar liar liar liar)

You fight, you claw, you don't want to go.

(You think of Bela and her books, how she would read to you while keeping you close.)

He's reaching, he's almost got you.

(You think of Cassandra and her well-meaning adventures of hunting.)

No! You won't you won't you won't you won't.

(You think of Daniela and her cuddles, her surprising coldness, yet still, you felt warm.)

You're swallowed by darkness, and there's a light, but you know better than to run towards, you turn and let yourself be covered.

(You think of Donna and Angie, how you know she couldn't bear to lose you too, how she shyly held your hand yet demanded you be hers.)

Keep running, Death is behind you.

(You think of Alcina and how she softened in your presence, craved your attention in ways you still couldn't understand.)

Keep running, Death is behind you.

(You think of Mia and Miranda, ever the package duo, the opposites that attracted, yet still both wanted you, the jokes, the science, the intelligence, all of it.)

Deep breaths.

Calm down.

Good.

You've reached your end.

This is it.

The path ends abruptly, and you feel the chill of Death just behind you, urging you to decide.

Allow him to collect you peacefully, or risk the jump. You don't even flinch when you briefly feel him almost touching you.

He reached, just as you jumped. The impact is jarring, you don't know what you were expecting, perhaps never-ending darkness? But you land, and you land hard, but yet-

Your legs aren't in pain.

It's your stomach.

Your world of darkness turns blinding as if you're staring up at a light. There's yelling, panic, but most importantly life. You're alive. Alive and struggling, and what the fuck is going on with your stomach?

You were cut open, but this is unbearable, unimaginable, unproportionate.

They didn't-

"Knock her out again!"

"I'm trying!"

"Well try harder!"

"Shut up Miranda, Jesus!"

"Don't bring up that false god-"

"He's not god he's-"

"Is this the time to have a theological argument?!"