Duty

I drank the tea again the next morning after Arthur had left for the day. Upon feeling stronger twinges in my belly, I let Flora know I believed it was starting to work. After I finished off the tea, I set off for a short stroll, hoping it would help move things along. When I was almost back to the house, I suddenly found myself overcome with pain. I buckled over, bracing myself on the fence at the side of the house. A handsome young Joseon man walked up to me to check on me. I patted him on the shoulder and nodded, to thank him, then stood up once the wave of pain had subsided. After a few more steps, I buckled over in pain again, losing my balance. He grabbed me and picked me up. I pointed to the house to let him know that was where I was going, and he kindly carried me up the steps.

In a weak voice, I let the guard know to let him by and he obliged, seeing he did not look like Chan-yeol and that I was clearly in distress. He carried me into the house and I pointed to the sofa for him to lay me down on it.

"Mother!" Flora rushed to me.

"Flora, dear, please thank this kind man for helping me."

She spoke to him and her eyes grew wide. She knelt by my side and grabbed my hand. "Mother, are you alright?"

"The tea–it is working," I gasped in pain.

"I am going to have him carry you up to your bed. Should I call for the physician, too?"

"No, I just need to bear through it." I watched as she turned and talked to him again. He carefully picked me up and carried me up the stairs and to my bed.

"I will be right back to help you, Mother."

With shaking hands, I started to unbutton my bodice to make myself more comfortable. She returned with a bowl of water and a cloth, then proceeded to help me take my dress off. The miscarriage had started. She called for my maid to grab some towels to put under me as she wiped my flushed face with a cool, damp cloth. I took the cloth from her hand.

"Flora, be sure to use some of my blood to stain your undergarments," I whispered.

"How can you even think about that right now, Mother? I still think I should call a physician. I am worried about you."

"I will be alright. Go thank that young man. Reward him for his kindness by offering him some food to eat. My maid is here to help me. Either she or I will call you if I need anything."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I will be fine."

With that, she left the room. I was relieved she chose not to let her stubborn streak take over. I was desperate to get her to leave. The last thing I wanted her to see was me crying from the pain and heartache of losing my baby. My devoted maid stayed by my side and comforted me as I rested.

 My devoted maid stayed by my side and comforted me as I rested

A young man was standing in our parlor carrying Mother. She was pale and looked weak. He set her down on the sofa and she asked me to talk to him. He told me that he found her bent over in pain and he carried her into the house. I asked her if she wanted me to send for a physician, but she turned me down. I had him carry her up to her bed, and then I left her briefly to speak to him.