Chapter 14

Arishem had a long story to tell and it seemed that, now, nothing would stop him telling it. He was dying, they could see it. This was the last time they could get the truth out of him. Thena didn't feel anything toward their creator at that moment. He had put them through too much already. She would just get what she needed out of him and carry on her way without a single look back. Hopefully, that future would be good, somewhere nice, with Gilgamesh by her side.

At the beginning, there was nothing else but darkness and Arishem. He just was. There was no goal, no meaning. Time passed. He remained. A whole new idea was emerging in his mind. The void needed to be filled. The Celestial created the first planet out of his own will. He, then, implanted the first egg inside but the planet had been small, just a piece of rock floating there. In turn, the being born out of that emergence had been little and weak. It became a dull star but it was also the first light in the dark void. Arishem would do better. Space and time were all he had.

The process would be repeated again and again. Arishem was doing better each time. The planets became bigger, the suns more powerful. It wasn't enough. It was never enough. The idea of life on each planet came out of his boredom. The Celestial was perpetually trying to improve the planet's creation process but it took time. While he waited for the process to be complete, he had created a whole world on that particular rock. Landscapes, nature and animals. What he had created, he could destroy as easily. The star out of that planet had been the biggest and brightest one so far.

Any good scientist would tell you that one occurrence didn't make a rule. The hypothesis had to be tried again and again in order to be proven. Arishem had improved a lot of things before coming to an understanding. Intelligent life was making every emergence better. The Celestial was nothing but practical. He had to make sure they would spawn on every planet from now on. They would need help a little because the smartest weren't always the strongest. As a result, Arishem created the Deviants to make sure that the mindless beasts would not destroy his work. The civilisations were able to develop nicely. For a time, all was good. Arishem was building a galaxy and it was beautiful.

The Deviants evolved and forgot when to stop. They started killing everything and everyone on their paths. That wouldn't do. Arishem created the Eternals. He took special care when building that new race. The Celestial wouldn't make the same mistakes twice. He made them stronger and with special powers. He would give them a goal, a purpose. The Eternals would understand the importance of the mission they were given.

At the beginning, Olympia was full of his creations. The Eternals would come and go, going to planets relatively nearby. Life was growing fast. Civilisations were rising rapidly. The Phastos of that time and the other engineers were creating so many things to help the population reach their potential. The Deviants, as soon as they had done their part, were killed off quickly. Everything was happening too fast. The results weren't as good as expected. The eggs needed more time to absorb it all, to grow strong for an emergence. Everything needed to be perfect.

The Deviants would need to be a little stronger, to be more of a real challenge against the newborn Eternals. The teams would need to stay on site longer but they understood the importance of what Arishem was trying to do. The Celestial would make sure to get them back home before each emergence. They would take time for themselves as another team would be sent to the next planet. The system had been working well, at least for a while.

His creation outgrow what Arishem had planned. They started getting feelings toward the population they were supposed to protect. Each emergence became harder and harder. Because the Eternals had to stay for a longer amount of time on the planets, living among its inhabitants, they simply were falling in love with them. Arishem simply couldn't understand that. They had been warned it was going to happen. No good scientist would get attached to the test subjects. Despite all logic, the Eternal grew uncomfortable with their missions. So much so they rebelled against their own creator.