Writing Prompt 3

I'm about to enter a room with three people. One person wants to kill me while the other two would do anything to save my life. I enter the room and find...

Jax, Kayla, and Anna.

My crush, my best friend and my sister. This is a tough one. I was told I can ask each of them three questions. I start with Anna.

"Do you—how's FTRS been?"

"Fine. Could be better. Look, Gilly, I don't want to kill you. You're my sister for goodness sake."

"But, Jax or Kayla would never—"

"Friends or family? You choose. Just choose right."

"Do you have a gun or any weapon on you or within a moments notice away from you?"

"No. I swear, Gilly!"

"What's my crushes name? And whisper in my ear," I whisper to her.

"You don't have a—Jax," she whispers back.

Hmm.

Next Kayla.

"Kayla," I say.

"Gilly," she says back.

"How's—" my voice cracks. All of these people, they don't want to kill me. Jocelyn might, but Jax? Kayla? Anna? I don't—can't believe that it's true.

Unless my hunch is right.

"Gilly, you're my best friend. I betrayed you once but you gave me a second chance—one I used wisely."

Hmm.

I ask her random questions—she's off the hook.

Now...

"Jax," I say, my breath hitching.

"Gilly," he responds. Then he waits...for me to ask him the questions.

"Why did I eventually start liking my purple streak in my hair?" Stupid question! But if my hunch is wrong...he'll answer correctly.

"Because you warmed to the color violet—purple—my eyes." Bullseye.

"What's—what's m-my scar look like?" It's the shape of a star. A 8-point star.

"A star," he responds with ease.

"How many points?" At this his face shows panic for a sec...then returns to his calm face.

"A six?"—he pauses and consults his watch (but why?)—"an eight-point star."

He aced the questions. Or had he? I get five minutes to think before I kick the would-be killer out. Five minutes.

It hits me.

My hunch...

Was right.

Jax wouldn't have faltered with the scar question—he knows the answer—unless it wasn't Jax. It's a...

Fake.

It's not Jax in the room, but someone else.

But, who?

My five minutes are up.

"I choose to kick out..., Jaxon Porter," I declare. He looks at me before leaving. His face looked hurt. Like I had betrayed him.

Ha! It wasn't even Jax.

I was wrong...

Horribly wrong.

Now I'm tied to a chair and she stands in front of me. Holding a knife.

Kayla had been finished off with. (Dead!)

Next is me.

She starts with hacking up my legs and arms, working her way up.

I refuse to even think her name.

How could she?! She deserves to suffer in the deepest pits of hell!!! My sister! Again!!

I wince in pain but refuse to make a sound. I refuse to satisfy her.

What happened to my baby sister?! Why?

She makes deeper cuts on my limbs.

I keep my mouth firmly shut. I refuse to—I let out a scream. She'd plunged the knife into my heart. My breath hitches and shallows. I'm going to die...Anna plunges knife in heart again, and I go slack. My last breaths. I remember my sister before I went to FTRS. Before...my heroism. Before her jealousy...then Jax, Kayla, Hayley, Maxine, Jocelyn, AG, and Jack. Wilson, Peaches, the other fairy pets. My family, teachers, classmates. Dahlia and Azalea...they say your life flashes before your eyes before you die. I guess it's true. I see a body bent over me. Violet eyes.

Jax...

The world turns black.

I can't lose her. They say your life flashes before your eyes before you die. They don't say how painful it is to watch a loved one dying. My memories of Gilly flood my brain. When I was on the chandelier—our first encounter. The Pegasus stables—the second encounter. The drill...Flora's office...the gargoyles...Gilly. I walk over to her and bend over her. I look at her eyes right before the close...for the last time. She breaths the last breath...

Or so Jax thought. And because of that he leans into give her a kiss he couldn't when she was alive...

Except for the fact that she's still alive. Just barely. Now readers ready for the cliché moment?...

Jax kisses Gilly for the first—and so he thought, last—kiss.

Gilly's eyes flutter open. She's barely holding on but got stronger with the kiss. Jax realizes this and leans in for another one. She grows stronger still...until she could sit up and lean in and kiss him back.

How could I have been stupid enough to think Jax was a fake?!

"Jax,—I—"

He cuts her off with a kiss. The gesture meaning he forgave her. Again...