Chapter 5

Leah - Day 1 at hospital

(Leah's POV)
I woke up. Charlotte is gone but it was nice waking up for the first time knowing I wasn't immediately in trouble with any foster parents so I didn't mind that much.

I was advised earlier by my doctor, Dr Sam bennet that I should stay on bed rest this first day. So I've been resting and fortunately I haven't thought about James too much yet. It's only 11am though according to my phone and I'm already starting to get a little bored ; Elle can't visit until the afternoon because of school but I did read her texts just before school and she seems really worried and that's when she told me she'd visit as soon as school is over, thank god.

Charlotte can only visit once or twice because she's always so busy, being chief of staff at the hospital and all which is understandable (I would rather not be a massive burden to her anyways).

The only visitors I've gotten are the nurses checking my vitals and doing blood pressure and all of that ; I am starting to get a little hungry but I don't want to bother the nurses and 'technically Sam said I should stay on bed rest not that I had to' I thought as I grabbed $10 I'd saved when I got beers for James one time and I put clothes over my gown before grabbing my IV. I slowly started to stand and practiced walking around the room as it did ache at first but eventually I got used to it and I walked out of the corridor I was on, sneaking past the nurses as they seemed quite busy and there weren't to many this early.

I walked on a couple floors, trying to find the cafeteria. I had just made it onto the 5th floor all the way from my 2nd  floor, I was gasping a little trying to catch my breath when I heard a voice I didn't recognise that seemed to be behind me say
"Shouldn't you be on bed rest Leah?"

(Violets POV)
I was in St Ambrose , in a hospital room on the 5th floor with an emergent patient who had collapsed in my office from having a heart attack. I was about to meet Coop at a random café for lunch break when I heard a tiny moan and when I walked out of the room I saw that it was Leah a little in front of me, the emergency patient Charlotte had brought in a week ago. 'Isn't she supposed to be on the 2nd floor' I thought before saying

"Shouldn't you be on bed rest Leah?" I asked her, nicely. Then she turned round looking quite shocked 'I guess Char didn't tell her about us then, except Sam of course ,not surprising' I thought but then she looked fearful as she said "sorry, j-just trying to find the cafeteria"
"It's okay, you look tired though, do you want to sit in that wheelchair so I can take you to the cafeteria?" I asked while pointing to the black wheelchair right near her. "um ... ok, I guess so" she stuttered as she ditched her IV and slowly walked over to the wheelchair with me helping her of course.

Next thing I knew I was grabbing mine and Leah's lunch in the cafeteria. She'd offered me $10 for her lunch but I politely declined and offered to pay for her lunch myself which she eventually grateful accepted. I finally got back to the table she was sitting at (the queues in here are large) and I gave her her lunch whilst sitting next to her.
"You really didn't have to do this, I could've bought it myself." She said apologetically almost as soon as I sat down.
"It's already done, no takebacks" I said and grinned at her as she giggled at me.

"So, why didn't you just ask a nurse to get you something?" I asked
"I didn't want to bother them, they're already doing too much for me" she said the last part quietly
"It's ok, they don't usually seem to mind as long as you ask them nicely and you seem nice" I told her
She smiled at the last part which then faded when she whispered "Yeh but, they've got more important things to do than waste their time on me"
I knew I had to assure her she wasn't a waste of space after that. "Leah, listen to me , you are NOT an inconvenience or something to be thrown away and discarded or disliked at the first possible moment" I said to her in my most serious (but still kind) tone
"You really believe that?" She questioned my words
"Of course, and you definitely should, in fact you should believe it more than anyone else Leah, ok"
"alright" she said , hesitant but I knew from the look in her eyes now that she was really thinking about what I'd said. I don't know how I could tell just from her eyes but I could somehow.