Chapter fourteen: The return

Marissa

"I've learnt so much more than I ever did then."

Taking in a breath of the crisp morning air, I smiled with tranquility at the warm, orange sunrise. Seeing the sunrise was honestly one of the best things about early morning walks to school. The sky was always lit up with the most beautiful oranges, yellows and light blues. It was so captivating.

Alas, my mind somehow already seemed to end up thinking, either about the list I had made or, shamefully, Jordan.

I was constantly picturing those grey eyes everywhere: when I was at the beach, at the park or at the library. Maybe I had gone a little crazy. Maybe I had an unhealthy obsession with him. I mean who really knew why people thought of others.

All I knew was that sometimes speaking or thinking about another person meant something. It suggested that you cared about them, or at least to some extent cared for them.

But, could I have possibly cared for Jordan Peters? The guy who cheated on exams and the guy with the 'bad reputation'. However, he also was the guy who protected my sister when she needed saving and the guy who loved Marvel.

I sniggered at the thought. I never would have gathered that at all. I wasn't judging him though. I just found it adorable.
Adorable? Really, Marissa? He wasn't a puppy.

Shaking my head to get rid of my consuming thoughts, I decided to think about my list instead- the other thing on my mind.

Isaac Bennet may have bullied my sister, but I couldn't have blamed him completely.
Firstly, I needed to know whether someone was really blackmailing him into going through with tormenting my sister and then, if so, I had to find out who the blackmailer was.

However, I doubted that Isaac would just tell me like that. He needed to know that he could trust me. Which was why I was definitely not bringing Jordan with me. Isaac would be undoubtedly terrified if he even heard Jordan's name, never mind letting him tag along.

Jordan did not like the idea of me communicating with him, but I still had to do it. My sister was counting on me to get revenge. I could feel it.

Tugging on the scarf that had always attended my morning walks to school,  I relished at the comfort and warmth it brought me.

It was a rather cold morning, so I had decided to also bring with me my cozy, wool gloves. These gloves had many small holes dotted around the palms of them, but they still did their job and kept me warm.

Once arriving at the school gates, I scanned around the entrance for any familiar faces, such as Miles or Jordan, and shortly entered the school building when I had realised that no-one, except year sevens, were out here.
What a shame. Despite the cold, the outside was truly beautiful that morning. I should have really taken a photo of the sky straight after leaving my house, but I knew my perfectionist side would have came to visit once taking out my phone.

Peeking down the corridor for a certain dark haired guy, I casually pretended like I needed to get something from my locker and slowly opened it.

"What's up, Mar?" Miles grinned wildly, creeping me out a bit by the size of his smile.

"Your smile. That's what's up." I prodded him in the cheek and spun around to look for Jordan again.

"Hey! I'm happy, ok? I'm finally...happy," he told me, leaning against the locker beside mine.

That stopped my search for Jordan and had me turning back to Miles, giving him my full attention. "Weren't you happy before?"

"Not really..." He averted his eyes to the uninteresting floor and ran his hands through his curly, caramel hair.