𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗶𝘃𝗲: 𝗟𝘂𝗻𝗰𝗵 𝗧𝗮𝗹𝗸

Cuziema

     I was sleeping soundly on the couch when I heard the head-aching noise of an alarm.

    "Sorry, that's mine." Andrés apologizes, all sleepy.

    "What time is it? I ask.

    "Uhm, seven."

    Me and my mom shot up from the couch, "SEVEN?!"

    "Cuziema, apúrate! El bus se va en diez minutos!" My mom yells as I head to my room to change.

    "Ya se! Ya se!" I quickly found something to put on, brush my hair and teeth and wash my face.

    "I can take her to school." Andrés offers.

    "No it's ok, Mr.Higgins is probably waiting for me!"

    "Who?"

"Her bus driver, he's a sweet old man!" My mom explains as she too changes to go to work. I quickly grab my things and snatch an apple.

"Ya me voy!" I called out.

    "¡Que tengas un lindo día mi vida!" I hear my mom yell. I bolted once I heard the door shut behind me. I had 4 minutes to get to my stop. I turned the corner and saw the last kid getting on.

    "WAIT!" I yell. I tried to run faster but the weight of my backpack slowed me down. I made it to the stop just as the doors were closing. I caught my breath as he reopened them for me.

    "Good Morning Cuziema." Greeted Mr.Higgins.

    "Good Morning Mr.Higgins." I say between gasps.

    "Weary morning?" He asks as I got on the bus.

    "You have no idea," I say as he chuckles.

***

I had finished all my class work and potential homework in class. School was finally over for the weekend. As I walked out of my last class of the day I passed the football field. It seemed the players were practicing before their big game. It was against our rival school, Wood High. We're always neck and neck with them in games. The last game ended in only a one point difference, us being the losers.

Walking down the stairs of my school I noticed everyone huddled around a certain area. Being the nosy person I am, I decided to see what was going on, hoping it was a fight. I couldn't be more wrong. Instead, I see Andrés leaning against his BMW with his phone in hand, not minding the crowd of people that surrounded him.

He looks up from his phone and spots me, smiling and waving his hand in the air, "Cuziema! Over here!" He yells. I awkwardly approach him, everyone's eyes shifting to me.

"Andrés," I began, "what are you doing here?"

"I thought I'd come pick you up since there wasn't much for me to do." He explains as he opens the door to the passenger seat for me.

"I see." I hesitantly enter the car, having my bag sit at my feet. He closes the door for me and starts walking to the driver's seat.

"Lots of people take the bus, huh?"

"They aren't here for the bus," I say.

"Oh?"

"They're here to look at your car." I clarify.

"Ah, I see. Was it bad that I came to pick you up?" He asks as he begins to drive home.

"No! You were just being nice. I'm just not used to having so much attention on me like that." I see him staring at me for a second before returning his eyes to the road. "What?"