Chapter 11: Flying

Cuziema.

I've never been off the ground, much less on a plane thousands of feet through the air!

    "Are you sure this is safe?"

    My mother groans while Andrés reassures me for the 100th time, "Very." Looking around. It seemed rather spacious. The seats were very comfortable, they could pass for couches. They even reclined.

    "What do you think?" Andrés asks me.

    I give him an approving nod, "If we die we die comfortably." He smiles.

    My mom had already sat down and begun to recline her seat. "Tired, Querida?"

    "You have no idea," she buckles her seat belt, puts on her neck pillow and a sleep mask, and dozes off. Andrés and I took our seats. I sat on the opposite side of the plane from my mom. I wanted a window seat and she sat by one. Andrés sat beside me which relieved me. His presence grew on me a lot over the past month, it filled me with comfort.

    "Please pay attention to the screen in front of you," a video about being safely played. It explained how to put on your seatbelt correctly, our nearest exits, what to do if we land on water, how to wear an oxygen mask, and things that just filled my head with scary outcomes of how this trip will end, along with my life. Soon after the video, the plane began to take off. When I felt the plane begin going up I unconsciously grabbed Andrés's hand. I didn't notice until I felt him squeeze it and then rub it with his thumb. Once we were steady in the air I calmed down. I took my hand back and thanked him, he only smiled.

    "Wanna watch a movie?"

    "Sure." As he sets it up I look out the window. We were so high up that there was nothing but clouds all around us. Or, so I thought. Turns out, we were in a cloud. Once we were out I could see neighborhoods and tiny little houses. The song L.O.V.E by Nat King Cole's started playing and caught my attention. I look over to the screen and see Nick and Liz, the parents from Parent Trap.

"Thought it would cool down your nerves."

I grin, "You thought right."

    "Want anything to eat?"

    "What is there?" I ask, not taking my eyes from the screen.

    "Anything really."

    "Some popcorn and soda would be nice." I didn't notice the flight assistant had come over to grab our snacks, nor had I noticed she'd come back with them.

    "Here," Andrés says.

    "Oh, thank you." I took a small bowl of popcorn and a cup of soda filled with ice. "Pineapple Fanta?" I ask, looking at the yellow substance.

    "Inca Kola."

    I look at him, "No way."

    "You don't like it?"

    "No, no I do. It's just been a while since I had it." I took a big sip, "delicious." He chuckles.

***

    After about 2 hours the movie ended and it didn't seem close to landing.

    "How much time is left until we land."

    Andrés looks at his watch, "we'll get there at 2a.m"

    "What time is it now?"

    "Midnight."

    "Oh," 2 more hours to kill.

    "Another movie?" He suggests.

    "Yeah."