Chapter two

fter two days at the hotel I decided it was time to leave. I needed to get to the woods before nightfall.  I set out, a towel I had taken from the hotel in my hand. It was easier to carry a towel than a full set of clothing. On a full moon every one changes by choice or not and tonight was that night.

I went into the woods, I couldn't help but smile. Even though I might have been emotionally unstable from the attack, the forest had always been on my side. The sun had set and the moon had begun to rise. The smell was so fresh compared to the room I had been stuffed in for the past two days, not leaving for anything. I felt the pleasant ripple spread over my body and hurried to undress. No need to rip my only cloths to shreds during my change. Just as I had finished undressing the change came as quickly as a tidal wave.

I welcomed it with a smile. The little pop of bones made me want to bubble with laughter. I felt my jaw stretch into the form were I would no longer be able to talk. My black fur grew into its normal beautiful, thick, coat. I let out a howl and started out in a run. Running helped me feel alive, invincible. It kept my mind from running back to the attack.

I breathed the night air deeply, feeling refreshed. This was my only escape. I didn't have to think about all the terrible things that have happened. I could be free from everything, if only for a moment. I was one with the forest.

I finished hunting and running two hours before dawn. I slowed to a walk down by the river, satisfied. A sudden gust of wind brought a familiar sent to my nose. Jackaboo. I tried to fallow his trail but I lost it after a few minutes. I took every direction I could to find him, but I couldn't pick the sent back up. It must have been all in my mind. Wishful thinking.

Defeated I lay down by the river and stared down into the still water. I couldn't believe I let my imagination get to me. Id have given anything to see one of my friends again. In the distance I could hear rustling of the leaves, I instantly perked up trying to decipher if it was an animal or the wind.

"Echo, You're alive!" I heard a familiar voice yelling, proving to be neither the wind or an intruder. I looked up to see Jackaboo Running toward me. He grabbed me under my arms and lifted me, swinging me around in a circle.

"Jackaboo! Get off me. You're going to kill me." I cried with a laugh. He let go of me and lay down on his back next to me. He was breathing a little harder. I couldn't have been happier. Someone had made it out alive! I was no longer alone. My heart swelled with happiness.

"I can't believe your alive. In Maryland, none the less. How was your trip? What were you thinking when you thought you were all alone?" He asked, firing off questions. It was hard to process everything he asked, all I wanted to do was hug him and cry. He took my hands in his and held them tightly. I smiled at the comfort.

"My trip was depressing. I hated myself for leaving everyone behind. I was afraid. I'm so happy to see that you're ok. The reason I came to Maryland was because after we were attacked I kind of passed out and had this insane dream. The dream was of Audry telling me to come to Maryland, and that she would be here. When I was alone I was worried about how I would survive or where I would go. I was so emotional. Please tell me that you're not alone. That others survived." I said hopefully.

"I had the same dream. Except it was you telling me to come. That's so weird, almost scary." He sighed. "I don't know who all made it out. Everything was such a blur. We all kind of scrambled at the end. We were so out numbered that there was just no hope." He shook his head sadly and looked to the sky. "The night is almost over, and our full moon is almost gone." He said, jumping up to his feet. I nodded and fallowed.

We changed and took off at a run. We ran for almost an hour, running out the last of our moon. We both skidded to a stop and sniffed the air, there was no mistaking that scent. Audry and Tucker. We nodded to each other and crept through the trees. We stopped behind a big oak tree and watched the two. The had just found each other, that was obvious. The were hugging like they hadn't seen each other in years. Their reunion wasn't much different than ours had been. Jackaboo pulled me back before I could run to them. I waited, confused.