CHAPTER 15

"Why are you following me, Marie?"

Even with a raging heartbeat, she still managed to put up a disinterested front. "What are you saying? Is there a reason interesting enough to make me follow you around in a hotel?"

He regarded with a cool stare. "You tell me."

Arielle rolled her eyes. "You're just being delusional right now." She tried to walk past him but he held her hand.

"You know, you've been a hot topic in The House for more than a fucking month. Everyone is astonished by how damn smart you are and I see it now. You lie with a straight face, you always have ready-made stories. You'd have made a fucking good spy if it weren't for one thing."

She eyed him dubiously. "And that is?"

Xavier smirked before responding. "Stealth. Your stealth is fucking zero level. I will literally hear your damn 'tiptoeing' from 5 fucking miles away."

Even though she wanted to get mad at his comment, something about the way he said it made her laugh and he also smiled before releasing her hand.

"For real though, why the hell were you spying on me?"

She rolled her eyes. "I'm not spying on you. I saw you in the lobby and decided to say hi."

He raised his brow. "And the best way you thought you could do it was to tiptoe and trail after me? You couldn't just call my name in the lobby and say hi?"

Fighting back a smile, she shook her head. "And ruin your fun of catching me red-handed? Never. This way is better."

His laugh sounded like classical music in her ears. "You are fucking funny. No wonder they're all enthralled by you."

"Who's they?"

He counted them off his fingers as he spoke. "Luke, Cyrene and half the Brothers in The House."

She scoffed. "Yeah, right. Luke is annoyed and irritated by my existence and he makes sure to remind me everyday. Sometimes, I don't blame him though. I can be a handful." Xavier laughed at her admission. "Uhmm, Cyrene? There is a possibility but enthrallment is too strong a word for it. More like a little crush. The other Brothers I don't know? Well, I don't know."

He smirked. "Everything you said right now is damn invalid. Everybody is enthralled by you, especially Luke."

She eyed him mischievously. "What about you? Why aren't you enthralled by me too?"

He took a step towards her, closing the little distance between them. "Oh, I do want to be enthralled by you but I don't think it's the wisest thing. You're a very smart woman, soon you'll fulfill your penance and leave. What's the need chasing a mirage? You'll disappear as soon as you can. That'll be some crazy shit."

Arielle's voice came out breathy, unlike its usual clear tone. "You don't want me to leave?"

Xavier gave her an inscrutable smile and stepped back. "Goodluck with your penance." He started walking down the hallway and she called out to him.

"Who was the man you were talking with in the reception?"

She could hear the smirk in his voice. "I thought you weren't spying on me?"

Arielle grunted and stomped her feet like a child. "I thought we've already settled that I was. Tell me who the man is."

"My uncle."