TWO

Harry

"Can I get another, please?"

Sitting at the bar, I tip the drink back and close my eyes as I feel the burn of alcohol run down the back of my throat.

"Sure thing." The blonde bartender smiles at me as she pours another drink and places it on the cocktail napkin in front of me. "This one's on the house."

Smiling, I thank her.

This morning I woke up late, which I rarely ever do, and decided that was going to be the worst thing that happened to me. Telling myself that just because I had to wear my glasses didn't make it a bad day.

But you know what does make it a bad day?

Getting paired with the biggest pain in the ass I've ever met on a work project.

One that is going to take us months to complete.

When I got the email from Angelica about wanting to meet with me not long after we finished our weekly meeting, I was excited. Hoping to land an exciting project or maybe even a promotion, I couldn't help but stop by Murphy's office on my way — only to be confused when she was heading in the same direction that I was.

Sitting next to her and seeing the envelopes with our names on them, side by side, confirmed that this was in fact not something I was going to wake up from.

Silence settled between the two of us as we listened to Angelica go over the details of our project, telling us just how much time we were going to have to be spending together.

I should be grateful to be paired with someone like Murphy.

It would be a lie if I said that she wasn't talented.

There have been countless stories of how she had the creativity of a world renowned artist and the attitude of a business shark — a combination that led her to being able to close even the toughest deals without anyone else's help.

But no matter how much I tried to think of it as an opportunity, my brain would not let me get past how much I couldn't fucking stand her.

Murphy Brooks was the kind of woman everyone liked, which made it that much worse.

I'll admit, I haven't ever taken the time to get to know her but just by her attitude alone that was enough for me. She was someone who always had to be right and she was so uptight all of the time.

It showed in almost everything she did... All the way down to her perfect frat boy of a fiancé, David. The actual poster child for daddy's money. He stopped by the office often enough that everyone knew who he was, but even if he never stopped by it would be impossible not to know who he was.

His family owned one of the most notorious criminal defense law firms in the city and up until Murphy said yes — was one of the city's most eligible bachelors according to the rumors I've heard.

This was enough for me to know that she wasn't someone I wanted to be friends with.. Not if her company looked like that.

What started as us genuinely just not caring for each other quickly turned into the relationship we have today, or lack thereof I should say.

I can still remember talking to my sister about it and how she was quick to make it sound like the reason I didn't like Murphy was because she was someone that I couldn't have, which couldn't be more wrong.

Even though I might be almost legally blind without my glasses or contacts, even that couldn't stop me from noticing that Murphy was beautiful. With dark hair, striking green eyes, and full lips anyone would be insane if they admitted to her not being attractive. However she wasn't someone that I wanted to be with or spend time with, making it easy to shut down the claims that Jordan so easily seemed to throw around.