Chapter Fourteen

12:00 P.M.

Looking at the alarm clock one last time, it's bright red letters piercing my eyes, it now told me it was midnight.

I wasn't able to get any sleep the last couple of hours, my anxiety was just to much.

The bed quietly creaked as I swung my legs over it and stood up, taking my weight off it. I flinched a little when it did. Every sound I make could get me caught.

I quickly stuffed the pillows under the blanket, doing my best to make it look like it was me sleeping under the covers in case he came in.

My body shivered from no longer being under the covers and I let out a deep breath before making my way to the door. The floor was as quiet as if a mouse was scurrying over it, as I quietly limped along, doing my best to be quiet with the clunky, but small brace I had on.

The door handle made no noise as I moved it. Slowly I moved the door open, again, not a sound.

It'll work.

Stepping out into the hallway, there weren't any lights on or any indication that he was awake. Step by step, I made my way to the staircase, every step I took was slow and steady, unlike my heartbeat.

On the last step off the stairs onto the wood floor, my blood suddenly ran cold as I caught a glimpse of light out of the corner of my eye.

I slowly peeked my head around to look into the living room area and noticed that one room from earlier that was locked, was now cracked open, letting the light through.

This won't work...

My mind started racing, and I started doubting myself. But I shook my head at the thought and brought my head back from around the corner.

I still have to try, the worst thing he would do was probably throw me back in that room since he hasn't hurt me, yet.

Taking a deep breath, I took a few quiet steps towards the door that I figured to be to the garage and gripped the doorknob tightly.

This whole idea was based on the thought that this door might be unlocked now, if it wasn't then this whole thing would go to shit.

Slowly, I turned it...

Click

A chill ran through me, hearing that one dreadful sound. But relief at the same time because it wasn't locked anymore.

But nothing came after. No sounds of footsteps, no yelling, grabbing. Nothing.

I didn't dare glance back to see if it alerted him. The door opened quietly, smoothly. Just like my steps into the cooler garage. The door closed quietly, but much more slowly than before, and thankfully it didn't click.

I let out the breath that I was holding in and turned to see the large garage. My eyes wandered over the vehicles inside.

There was one black Cadillac Escalade, a dark red motorcycle, maybe a Ducati, and then a black Audi A5.

I didn't know much about cars, but thanks to my dad being a mechanic before he died, I remember hearing him say something about how quiet the Audi is, that would probably be my best choice. The bike would obviously be too loud, and the Escalade would be too big.

Slowly, I limped over to the sleek black car and peeked inside to see the keys resting on the center counsel. Joy and excitement rushed through me as I quietly opened the door and slid into the seat. The seat and mirrors were off since I was smaller, and I had to adjust everything so I could at least drive.