1

Life happens quicker than we think. Sometimes we don't see things coming, whether we like it or not. 

And usually, we don't.

However sometimes life can give you another opportunity, another chance to mend things, to make them up and become better. And not everyone is ready to take that chance and use it in their favor. But Matthew was, and oh boy he did use it.

But life is unexpected, and it's something we can't control. Even if our fate is written in the stars, it feels like living an episode of Black Mirror, where you can have multiple endings depending on what you do, the decisions you make, and the action you take. 

And even then, we persist in having what we want. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. 

But Matthew and Helena had another opportunity, and it worked out.

From dates to heart to heart conversations, to kissing in public, to buying flowers for her. It didn't matter. Nothing mattered. Even if they were in their seventies, nothing mattered because they were together again. They reunited with the love of their lives and that was what they were doing — living life together, loving each other, and enjoying their companionship. 

But life is a cycle. And cycles never end up good for anyone. Cycles are always hurtful, and painful. Cycles are endings, and death is the main protagonist and villain of that.

[...]

Matthew's funeral was full of color, ironically. He was a man full of life, even at his older age. Chronic disease was the cause of his death, the doctors said. Helena should've been aware of that, but Matthew always reassured her that he was fine and that it didn't matter. 

Yes, it did matter, but not to him. Not to him because he was spending his last days with the love of his life. A selfish attitude because now Helena is alone again — though not for long. 

And even if that is a selfish attitude, the only thing Helena is angry about is because they didn't have a dance. Their last dance.

[...]

Helena's seeing a white, bright light. She doesn't see anything else, just a white, bright light. She feels as if she's getting blinded by it, but it's also a comforting, familiar feeling.

"Where am I?" the trembling tone in her voice revealed her nervousness. 

No response. No one answered. 

Once the white, bright light decided to decrease a little, she could see a beautiful park. A bench, a little lake, trees and a lot of grass with some flowers here and there. There was also a little path for her to walk on it. She didn't remember why or when or how she got there. She doesn't remember anything, actually. In fact, it's like this is a whole new life and a whole new chapter for her.

Perhaps it was and she didn't realize it. 

But that park was a place she has been before. That park makes her think about a certain person and a certain situation — that was the park Matthew and her met for the first time, that was the same park Matthew and Helena had the first date, and that was the park where Matthew confessed his feelings for her. 

It was not a simple park, but their park.

"Don't you dare to cry, Helena", a very masculine and familiar voice spoke. When Helena turns around, she's meeting Matthew for the last time. Once again she's seeing his blue eyes, his white hair and beard, and his beautiful and gummy smile. She always loved it, even though he hated it sometimes. 

"This isn't possible. I must be dreaming", Helena said. Confusion and surprise were painted on her face. She didn't know how to react, but for sure her heart was beating faster.

For a moment she thought her heart was going to jump out of her chest. The love feeling was immense. Happiness, ecstasy, butterflies in her stomach. It was feeling like she was falling in love one more time. 

And hell she was.

"We could say that", another smile on Matthew's face, and he was offering his lover his hand, "Someone told me you were angry at me for not taking you out to dance", he knew. Yes, he did, because he never left her alone.

Not even when he became a ghost.

Helena looked even more confused. First at his hand, then at his eyes, and finally at his hand again. But a smile was creeping up on her lips, pulling the corner of her lips up. The bigger smile he has ever seen, and the most beautiful too, "Finally", she said, holding his hand in the process. 

The harmony started out of nowhere, but neither of them cared when or how was the music playing. The only thing they cared about was the comfort they were feeling, the pace, and how they were each other safe places. His arms were surrounding her lightly, and her arms were surrounding him tightly. 

The music was flowing through their ears. 

Chest to chest, breathing calmly. Heart to heart, being one. Like they've always been. 

"We have to say goodbye", and even if Matthew didn't want to pronounce those words, he had to, "It's not your time to be here yet", no, there was no room for Helena to be in the afterlife yet.  

She looked up at him with glossy eyes. Helena was about to cry. Both were. 

"I know, but I don't want to", she sighed. No, she didn't want to, but she had to.

"I promise you, we'll meet again", and with that promise and a kiss on her lips both said goodbye.

Just to meet again on the day after that. Doctors said she died of sadness, but with a smile on her lips, and that's because they had the last dance