Chapter 9

Scarlett

I woke up feeling groggier than usual. As I glanced around the room, I noticed someone was laying on the floor. Dillon? I thought. A moment later, I realized it wasn't Dillon, but Amy. What is she doing here?  I thought. I silently slipped out of bed, making sure not to wake Amy up.

I strolled downstairs, searching for dillon. I then discovered him in the kitchen, pouring himself a glass of orange juice.

"Hey..." I said as I took a seat at the table. He  took a sip of his orange juice, and  waved to me, "Hey, Red." He took another sip of his orange juice.

"So... Umm... is there any reason why Amy is here?" I asked, deciding to get straight to the point. Dillon hesitated for a moment, but then sighed and answered me. "Oh, she was walking around last night, and said she didn't want to go home. Is it okay for her to stay here a night or two?" He asked.

Sighing I said, "I honestly don't care, but my grandmother..." I trailed off as Dillon made a face. I sighed again. I really wanted to make it up to Amy for being rude to her yesterday.

"Whatever," I said. "I'll deal with her when it comes down to it." Dillon nodded, "Alright then, can you go wake Amy up? I'm going to make breakfast." I made a face, but nodded as I headed for the stairs.

Walking up the stairs, I thought of ways to become friends with Amy. I felt sorry for being so rude to her yesterday and she seemed like a really sweet person, despite the fact of harboring powerful ice magic.

I creaked open the door to my room only to find that Amy was already awake. She looked as if she hadn't slept a minute, for no sleepiness hung over her face, and her eyes didn't posses the normal grogginess that a person who just woke up would.

"Did you sleep well last night? It looks like you were awake all night." I said. She smiled and got up from her makeshift bed. Her platinum blonde hair was put into a fairly messy bun and in the morning light, I could see just how pale her skin really was.

"I got some sleep." She replied. "And yeah, I know I look like I just had ten cups of coffee." she chuckled as she walked toward the door.

"It's my anxiety that does it, mixed with the horrible nightmares that I have."

Anxiety? Nightmares? I knew nothing about her, I felt ashamed that I was mean to her before. She probably had larger demons than I did. I hope she didn't hold it against me.

As I moved out of the way to let her through the door, her ice knife in hand, I noticed faint blue patches of skin on her arms and legs.

"Wait, what are those?" I asked. I felt rude for saying that, I mean, after all, I was supposed to be nice to her.

She looked down to where I was pointing, seeming the least bit offended by my question.