Focus

The tension was rising as Noah and Julien began to argue, using the storytime audience as a buffer. Noah said, "And I told Julien that it's not gonna happen. Not for my sake. I will respect his wishes if he doesn't want to see me anymore, but if he wants to end this, it will be HIS doing. Because I am willing to suffer this condition to stay with him."

"Um... don't you think this discussion should be moved to a more... private... place?" Artemis, the mediator, asked as he switched places with Niko.

"Why? There's nothing to discuss?" Julien spat. "Noah wants to kill himself."

"OOP– Okay, yeah, outta here," I demanded, shooting to my feet and pushing the fighting couple out of the room. "Artemis?"

"My office," he answered, already following us.

We reached the office and shoved Noah and Julien inside before entering and locking the door.

"Is this really necessary?" Noah asked.

"Obviously it is," Artemis said sternly. He and I had on matching expressions and stances of stern and tough love. Arms crossed; brows furrowed; backs straight; frowning.

"Very well. I am willing to go through these panic attacks to stay with you, Julien," Noah said.

Julien's voice was trembling, from this I deduced that this wasn't the first time they had this discussion. "Noah... there is only one thing I want more than to be with you. And that is for you to be healthy."

As they talked, I leaned over to Artemis and whispered, "Is there actually a solution that keeps these two together?"

He mimicked my hushed tone as he answered, "There is one. They'd need to take Cassidy, Esha, and Vincent's approach to relationships."

I had no problem with another throuple in the group, but the one obstacle was who the fuck could possibly handle these two. I mean, they are the DUMBEST smart people I have ever met.

Noah said, "Julien, I don't know how to explain this to you. I don't care if it hurts me, I--"

Julien interrupted by shouting, "BUT *I* DO CARE!"

Artemis stepped forward, saying, "Alright... Everyone calm down. Shouting is not going to help any of this."

"You two need a third," I announced. All eyes slowly turned to me. Shock filled Noah and Julien's gazes, while fear held Artemis's. "I mean, you two are either emotionally dead inside, or just REALLY stupid."

The shocked stares turned to anger and the fearful one just got more afraid.

"D, maybe you should--" Artemis began.

I didn't want to hear it. "I'm fine, Artemis. It's THESE two who need a reality check. Noah is sick because he isn't with an omega. Julien doesn't want Noah to be sick, but he's not an omega, so he can't help. But you know who IS an omega?" I asked before gripping both their shoulders and exclaiming, "An omega! This isn't math class, guys. You don't need to subtract a beta to add an omega. You want to stay together? Then find an omega, and have some polyamorous fun."

Noah and Julien slowly exchanged bug-eyed looks.

"We, uh..." Julien started.

"Never thought of that," Noah finished, getting that look in his eye as if something was finally interesting enough to get his attention.

"I know. That's why you two are the DUMBEST... SMART people, I have EVER MET!" I voiced my thoughts.

Artemis and I left to give them some privacy, but almost immediately, they exited his office with big smiles.