Chapter Eight: When You Need Me

Day three in California but Jake was living a dream unlike any other. The weather had been great- except for that first day- the team was having so much fun, and he was going to be a father. He was thanking his lucky stars he got to do life with the beautiful girl sitting at the mirror right now.

    "Jake?"

    "Hm?" Jake asked, looking at Riley as she turned around in her chair.

    "You've been staring at me for the past half hour. You alright?"

Jake chuckled and smiled goofily.

    "Of course I am, mama," Jake said, putting his chin on Riley's shoulder. "I got you. And I am so excited that you're coming today, b."

    "Me too," Riley said, smiling at Jake in the mirror before turning around to kiss him as he smiled. "I'm so excited to see you in action."

Jake smiled as he picked up his keys and phone before going back to the desk again.

    "I gotta go. Nick's in the lot waiting for me. I'll leave you the car. See you later, Mrs. Wolff."

    "See you," Riley said, blowing Jake a kiss he caught in his hand with a wink as Riley laughed as she watched him close the door.

    "My, that boy's handsome," Riley said as she smiled into the mirror, finishing her makeup.

Jake climbed into Nick's pickup and smiled, moving his glove off the passenger seat for Jake to take a seat.

    "Hey, dad," Nick said, grinning.

Jake held his hand up.

    "Still not used to that."

    "Trust me," Nick said, as he put his arm behind Jake's chair and turned his head to look behind him as he backed out. "You never get used to it," He finished, smiling. "My girl's almost two and I'm not. Speaking of that, you know the gender yet?"

    "No. But I'm anxious to find out," Jake said, as Nick started the drive down the highway. "Did you like your present?"

    "What? The present that I totally told you not to get me?"

    "Yes," Jake said, playfully rolling his eyes. "That present."

For their nine year anniversary, Jake had gotten Nick's( and his) favorite picture from the Zaminski's wedding developed and put it in a frame and gifted it to Nick to show Mac too. It was of their first look before the ceremony. The photographer had gotten Mackenzie just as she was turning around. The view was of behind Nick's shoulder and he had perfectly captured Mackenzie's brilliant smile, her mouth slightly opened as she took in her husband's teary stare.

    "I'm kidding. I loved it, Jake. Really," Nick said, taking his eyes off the road for a split second to give his friend a look. "Mackenzie and I both cried over it for a half hour. Seriously one of the best gifts we got."

Jake massaged his shoulder from the passenger seat as they pulled into the parking lot and unloaded their stuff from the trunk.

    "Day three," Nick said, smiling at Jake as they overlooked the breathtaking facility. "Let's go."

Jake turned around mid swing when he heard his name being called. He turned to see his wife and Mackenzie sitting down in their chairs next to the dugout.

    "Wife privileges, am I right?" Nick asked, grinning at him, his voice loud enough for his wife to hear.

    "Shut up," Mackenzie said, playfully as Nick laughed, catching a high throw from Dainn.