6. A Confrontation

Alarm clock blaring and sunlight peeking through my window, wakes me from my sleepless unconsciousness. I sit up and the events of last night replay in my head. I look at my nightstand and stare at the drawer, debating whether or not to open it, to see if it was all truly a dream or if last night had really happened.

'Here goes nothing.'  I think to myself as I open the nightstand drawer. I peek inside, and then groan. I reach into the drawer, and pull out the small dark red bag that holds the necklace. I untie the bag and dump the necklace into my hand. I stare at the huge, yet stunning Aquamarine gem that rests at the middle of the chain. I flip the necklace over and stare at the script that is engraved on the back of the gem. I run my thumb over the script, and then close my hand around the gem, bring it to my chest, and squeeze it.

I hear my bedroom door open, and I quickly slip the necklace and the bag under my covers. I pretend to stretch and act like I have just woken up. When the door opens enough to reveal who is opening the door, I breathe a sigh of relief, it's only Marissa and she is carrying two coffee cups.

"Well, nice to see that you are awake." She says coming over to me and handing me one of the cups. I put the cup to my lips and take a big drink of the piping hot coffee, not caring that it is burning my mouth.

"I think I'm more surprised to see you awake right now. You normally sleep in till about fifteen minutes before school starts." I say putting the coffee cup on the nightstand. I reach under the covers and pull out the necklace and the bag, I slip the necklace back into the bag and retie it. I place it back in the nightstand drawer, and am about to shut it, till Marissa stops me.

"Don't put it away." Marissa says watching me intently while sitting in front of my laptop. I give her a look, and I pull the necklace out of the drawer again.

"Why not?" I ask, looking at Marissa, then I finally see them. A few of the manila folders from the filing cabinet last night. I get out of bed and walk to Marissa and examine everything that is scattered on my work desk. The manila folders, folded pieces of paper, pictures, and the flowing white gown from the baby picture.

"Don't be mad. I went back into the attic, once you had stopped tossing and turning in your sleep. I know that you want answers, and the only way to get those answers is to have as much evidence as possible whenever you confront whoever it is, that you are going to confront about this." Marissa says and then takes a deep breath.

I pick up one of the manila folders and open it. Inside it, there is a stack of papers. The top paper has fancy Italian writing on it.

"What is this?" I ask myself out loud.

"That is a royal agreement signed by your parents saying that; exactly one week after your sixteenth birthday, they are to take you back to Italy, so that you may be crowned the rightful heir to the 'De Luca' family throne." Marissa says coldly.

"Wait, back up. Go back to Italy and be crowned Princess. I don't think so." I say harshly as I close the folder and put it back on my desk, then turn to face Marissa.

"Kat, I don't think you have a choice. I did some research last night, and you are the only known heir to this throne. If you don't take the crown, then the neighboring enemy countries heir is to take over you families throne. You'll be thrown out on the street and war will happen." Marissa says, taking another deep breath.

"Being thrown out on the street sounds better than being a Princess right now." I say looking at the necklace bag that I had completely forgotten was in my hand.

I place the necklace bag on the work desk and go to my closet to pick out my clothes for today. I grab a pair of knee high sweat pants and a slightly oversized shirt. 'Today is definitely a comfy day.'  I say to myself as I take my clothes and head to my bathroom to get ready for the stressful day ahead.