act two, scene three

Sirius' morning was going pretty decently, all things considered. Even though he took longer than usual to get dressed because James threw his boxers on the Black's hair after it was all styled (washing his hair took effort and time, dammit), there was still some butter croissants and jam left for breakfast. In fact, his morning was downright pleasant until he saw the Black Family's owl heading towards the Gryffindor Table. Only after it pecked Mitran on her head and gave her a letter did Sirius relax.

"I'm not the only one it does that to, then," Sirius snickered, catching the attention of James and Remus. James seemed like he was going to add in his two Knuts, but one look from Sirius made him shut it.

"Shove off," Mitran groaned, eyeing the letter suspiciously.

Strangely, at those two words, Patil laughed.

"What's so funny about Mitran telling me to fuck off?" Sirius asked incredulously. "Well, telling me to fuck off in a slightly polite way," he amended when Mitran glared at him.

"It's just... she says it all the time, and I never really noticed until recently." Patil grinned. "She says it's so that she's less vulgar, but I don't buy it. She's plenty vulgar despite it."

"Mm," Sirius hummed, already losing interest.

"Say, why is she getting letters from your family?" Patil asked, sobering.

Sirius would've been offended, but his family wasn't the greatest to be associated with. He would know. He was surprised Mitran didn't tell her, though. Both Patils were her closest friends. If it weren't for her surname, he would've thought them triplets.

"She didn't tell you?" Peter asked her curiously, though that look faded into regret when Remus elbowed him.

Patil turned to face the four of them, glaring. "What do you four know that I don't? When did you become so buddy-buddy?"

"Hey, Mitran, you coming to DADA?" Sirius asked weakly.

Instantly, the other three Marauders looked up, desperate for an escape from Patil.

"Um, yeah," Mitran mumbled, pocketing the letter and looking quite pale in Sirius' eyes as she got up. "See ya soon, Preethi."

Sirius grabbed his third jam croissant and got up, glad to escape Patil's questioning, and followed Mitran out of the Great Hall.

As the door closed shut, James said, "So, what was in that letter?"

Sirius winced. Mitran already seemed unhappy, and this was not going to help.

Mitran turned around, her hair smacking him in the face as she did so, a look of pure anger on her face. "I've downgraded from Black to his brother, alright? Now, fuck off."

She stormed off, but not before her hair smacked him in the face. Again.

"Mate, I love you, but you have terrible timing," Sirius sighed.

"And you know I hate agreeing with Sirius, but..." Remus trailed off.

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

"You're kind of terrible at timing, too," Peter squeaked.

"Shut up." James groaned. "At least we know Sirius ain't getting married soon."

Sirius winced. I feel bad for her. Out of me and Reg, I was definitely the better option.

"Yeah..."