IV. GREEN GREEN DRESS

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

GREEN GREEN DRESS

2 0 1 1

   "Do you think they have one in yellow?" Charlotte asked, not taking her eyes from the window.

   "Uh, sure," Lucinda replied, though she was too distracted to fully comprehend what Charlotte was saying.

In the window was a stunning emerald green floor length dress. There was a slit up the right side of the skirt that ended at the mannequin's thigh, the top was low cut with spaghetti straps, and the entire thing was mesmerizing.

"You should get it," Charlotte said, and Lucinda turned to see a small mischievous grin on her face.

   "How am I going to justify buying that? Look at it, it's probably extortionate," Lucinda replied, looking back at the dress wistfully.

Charlotte looked at her as though she was an idiot.

   "Are you an idiot?" She asked.

"What?"

   "Tony Stark just gave you his card and told you to go wild! Get the dress."

   "I can't spend all of his money, I'd feel bad," Lucinda replied.

"Are you an idiot?" Charlotte asked again.

   Lucinda knew exactly what she was getting at and she gave her a disapproving look. Tony wouldn't even notice the money was gone, and if he did, he wouldn't care. Lucinda knew that. Charlotte sometimes thought that she realized how rich she was, but she knew. Her issue was that when she lived with her mum, she had nothing. Yes, Tony was sending money over but it all went straight into her savings, her mum wanted a bright future for her. They had the bare minimum, spending wise. Now she had money again, and she was loving every second of it, but she had been taught how to handle her money sensibly.

   But she was in love with this dress.

"You've had a hard time and your dad told you to get something for your birthday. You deserve this!" Charlotte urged.

   "I suppose I could wear it to my party," Lucinda said.

Charlotte grinned, pleased that her persuasion techniques were working.

   "Why don't you go and try it on?" She said, slyly.

A grin grew on Lucinda's face and she grabbed Charlotte's arm, headed straight for the shop door. As soon as they entered, Lucinda felt a strange sense of familiarity.