Welcome to High School

"Dad?" I decided to come out with it, "Why are you constantly giving me tips about high school and why are you always trying to keep me safe?"

"Wayne, i'm constantly looking out for you because of what I went through, trust me it wasn't good. High school was like hell to me because I was constantly getting swirlies, my lunch money taken and I still can't get over being stuffed in my locker with wet underwear....thank god that drug-sniffing dog found me!" It was clear that dad hated high school.

"But dad, it hurts that you don't think I can handle it" I knew that I couldn't handle it but I didn't want to seem needy.

"In case you can't handle it, always keep your money in your shoe, but have some spare change in your pocket."

"Why?"

"Decoy money. They won't stop hitting you 'til they get something."

"Who are 'they'?"

"The big kids, holding you by your ankles and plunging your head in the toilet."

"Plunging my head in the toilet?" This was worrying me...

"Don't freak out, it's not so much plunging as...dipping" Well, dad wasn't helping, I was already scared and now i'm freaking out!

"Wow dad, did you follow those tips because it sounds like you had it tough." That confused me, he had lots of encounters with bullies but he has good ideas to avoid that kind of stuff.

"Well son, when God was handing out courage, I was hiding in my locker peeing in my gym socks." I tried not to laugh but couldn't help it. "What? I had three cans of cola at lunch!"

We were at a restaurant and it were about to leave...is it weird that we only have the conversations about high school while we're eating?

--

School was tomorrow and I was so nervous I couldn't sleep, I just sat there staring at the wall thinking about my plans to outsmart the bullies, because they would know all the tricks. I thought about what dad said and this was my plan:

I could put fake money in my pocket, fake money in my shoes, and put my real lunch money in my bag. I bet that they think we're so clever that we wouldn't put our money in the obvious place so they probably wouldn't bother.

--

I must have got tired of thinking about school because I woke up this morning on the floor. I quickly did my daily routine, putting on my new shoes and clothes....I hated them but dad insisted. I walked to the bus stop but my dad came with me.

"Why do you have to walk me to the bus stop, i'm perfectly capable of doing it on my own." I was trying to be confident, until I saw someone getting beat up at the bus stop. "On second thought, don't leave me!"

We went to the bus stop just as the bus came and everyone got on.

"Now make sure you be nice to the bus driver...." Dad glanced at the him, "He has control of your life."Yeah ... he wasn't helping. "Smile" For some reason my dad held up a camera. "I need a current photo of you in case you piss off the bus driver and he tries to kill you" Seriously dad? What are the chances of that happening? Then dad told me to turn to the side so he had a 'profile' shot. Being bullied turned him into a nut job.

I walked to the bus, which was still waiting, and saw the driver... yeah I think my dad was right about him trying to kill me because he was pretty scary. I got on the bus and he instantly closed the door after me as if he was trying to trap me in there. CREEPY!! Kidding, he was just probably eager to get going. I sat at the back on my own and by the time we got to school, so many people came on the bus that I got squished to the back window.