007

part 007
lux

Kai'

"Dude, we look cool as fuck." Kyran said shoving joints in his jean pockets. By now the sun was setting and we were just standing in front of the mirror. It took us a while to do the handprints on my top, Kyran had used an old white shirt and threw paint splatters on his jeans. I was in black covered in colourful handprints. We were running around looking for a hair dryer to dry the handprints. Eventually found one deep in the art department for some reason. My phone buzzed and I picked it up. Will. I answered it by putting it on speaker.

I glanced at the screen to see Will's name, but when I answered and put it on speaker, it was Zayd's voice that greeted us with an impatient edge.

"Where the fuck are you both?" he demanded, his tone leaving no room for excuses.

"Why are you on Will's phone?" I inquired, exchanging a glance with Kyran as he hurriedly slipped on his shoes.

"Because he was going to talk to you, but I'm here to give you a mouthful. Get your flat arses over here, now," Zayd commanded, his urgency palpable even through the phone line.

"My arse isn't flat," Kyran quipped, unable to resist injecting a bit of humour into the tense moment.

"Also, bring Rayhan," Zayd added, his tone softening slightly as he mentioned his younger cousin. "I need to keep an eye on that little shit."

"I thought you said he didn't want to go?" Kyran interjected, a hint of disbelief in his voice.

Before Zayd could respond, we heard screams and the unmistakable thump of bass reverberating through the phone, signalling the start of a party.

"Get your asses here now. The lines will only get longer!" Zayd's voice boomed, the urgency of the situation now underscored by the escalating noise in the background.

*

We grabbed Rayhan and strolled over to the field, anticipation coursing through our veins. I could already sense that this year's Hebdomada de Lux was going to be the best. It was our final year here, and we were determined to make every moment count. The thumping bass of some song reverberated through the ground as we got closer, the rhythm pulsating through my body.

"Is it always like this?" Rayhan groans as he took in the scene unfolding before him. "I mean, isn't it wrong for Zayd to be here?" His concern was touching, but one, Zayd didn't care, two, deep down Rayhan didn't care because he was just as bad as his cousin.

"Yeah, it's always like this," Kyran replied with a grin, offering a reassuring pat on Rayhan's shoulder. "And trust me, it only gets better the longer you stick around. Girls are wild."

"It's not wrong for him to be here," I interjected, my voice firm as I defended Zayd's choice to partake in the festivities. "Zayd knows the risks and consequences. It's his call."

As we neared the heart of the gathering, Kyran's voice broke through the music and laughter. "There they are!" he exclaimed, gesturing towards a crowded picnic table where familiar faces congregated. Idris stood atop the table looking at his surroundings recording it all, while William occupied a nearby seat. Absent were Suki, Parker, and Athalia, their whereabouts unknown amidst the sea of revellers. Meanwhile, I noticed Zayd getting a drink from one of the vendors—a simple bottle of water, a stark contrast to the alcoholic beverages that flowed freely around us.

"Shit!" Will exclaimed, his laughter infectious as he took in our painted attire. "You guys look fucking insanely cool." He was shirtless and in white reflective shorts, his chest adorned with splatters of vibrant paint that accentuated the tattoos peeking through.