seven

devoted

"YOU still working on the tie?" Sully questioned, approaching Nate as the poor boy struggled to properly do his tie, you not too far behind, but having your own struggles trying to manage not to trip and fall in the dress, and the dreadful heels as well.

"I just can't figure out the length. I just keep making it all fat." Nate says, rather defeatedly, turning over from one of the large connected mirrors to expectingly accept Sully's unsaid help.

"C'mere." Sully says, doing the job himself.

You stay behind the older man at a reasonable distance, watching in mindless curiosity as Sully professionally ties Nate's tie with ease.

Maybe you were just slightly impressed, and that may be due to the fact you had no idea how to tie a tie yourself.

"You know what you're doing?" You hear Nate's voice ask.

"Yeah, my dad was a Navy man." Sully answered, eyes still focused on the tie.

"I could do this one-handed with my eyes shut." The man bragged.

"You served too, didn't you? Dishonourable discharge." Nate questioned curiosity.

This of course, was all news to you.

"You did some homework, huh?" Sully quizzed, amused at Nate's sudden knowledge.

"Of course I did." Nate admits as the older man does any necessary finishing touches.

The only thing you cared about was getting out of these dreadful shoes, and uncomfortable (maybe slightly cute) dress, but you didn't see that happening anytime soon.

You sigh, crossing your arms over your chest.

"I flew helicopters." Sully informed.

"I was preserving some artifacts from a museum in Baghdad." He continued, you stealing a few glances at Nate as the older man folded his collar.

Well, when you say a few glances, you mean there was an unannounced staring contest going on for no reason in particular. For you, you were just staring because he was, but it was obvious that Nate was probably (most likely) staring for the right and wrong reasons. It didn't take a genius, maybe even a rocket scientist to see the very obvious gawking his was doing over your entire figure, which might have boosted your confidence just a little.

"I was over the max load weight, crashed pretty hard." Sully voice speaks through the unknown tension between you and Nate, the two of you breaking your gazes, and avoiding eye contact further more.

"They got all upset, kicked me out." He finished, smoothing over his final work.

"Bit of an overreaction, but what are you gonna do?" Sully shrugs, turning to expecting look at you.

The man nods his head over toward the suit jacket behind you and you raise your eyebrow, turning to look back at it before looking back at him with a bewildered expression.

"You say "preserving", but you mean looting, right?" Nate evidently asked, walking over toward where you stood, and now you finally understand what Sully was trying to get you to do.

You reach for Nate's suit jacket just as he reaches you and you show him a small smile, gesturing and silently asking if you could put it on.

He shrugs in response, turning to face Sully so you could put it on for him.

"If I didn't take them, somebody else would have." Sully concludes.

"How logical of you." You tell him sarcastically.

Sully nods at you, ignoring your obvious sarcasm, pulling something from his suit jacket's pocket, holding it out towards Nate.

"You asked for that." He says, handing the boy the metal cutters.

"Thank you." Nate accepts the object contentedly.

After the very long, dragging, maybe slightly informative backstory was over, you three were just about ready to go (you hope), but before anyone could leave, there was just one question that was still on your mind the minute you walked in.

"Is there any specific reason you brought a cat, Nathan?" You wondered, your head turning to linger your gaze on the relaxing cat.

"Oh, the cat?" He asked, making sure he had heard you right, to which you just hum your answer in response to.

"She's just for Sully." Nate waved off, nodding at you with a smile.

"Oh." Was all you said, watching as the older man bewilderedly looked over at the boy.

"What?" He asked in confusion.

"Yeah." Nate confirmed, buttoning his suit.

"Wait, why did you get him a cat?" You questioned, looking over at him in wonder.

"His life seemed super sad." Nate shrugged.

You couldn't argue with that statement.

"Fair enough." You say.

"No, no, no, I'm not gonna keep this thing." Sully tried to argue, but Nate just ignores him, walking toward the exit.

Sully looks at you in disbelief, his eyes pleading you for help. You press your lips together and shrug, turning around to follow Nate out the door.

"You're gonna shit all over my floor." Sully exclaimed to the cat, and you fight back a chuckle as you hear the older man's footsteps quickly behind you.

a/n: almost tempted to quit, but i'm gonna keep going! finally did chapter 7, i might work on chapter 8, but yk how i love to lie :D