2. Days of Future Past

Rory stands from the desk before her brain is afforded the opportunity to decipher whether or not it's truly a good idea.

Stands, but doesn't move.

Watches.

Watches him jog down the library steps before finding his place beside a motorcycle. Suzuki GSX-R1000. She'd know it anywhere.

Her chest feels tight. Broken. Watching him pull the helmet over his head after straddling the ride. Watches him turn it on. Watches him turn and take off down the road.

Watches him leave her.

Again.

"Ror, you good?" Sage, calling her back.

Rory isn't quite sure what came over her, but she turns back to her girlfriend now looking up expectantly and nods. "Yeah. You ready?"

"Yeah," Sage mumbles nervously, leaning back to allow Rory the room she needs to look over the paper.

She reads. Each word passing through her mind before disappearing completely. Her focus not on the assignment at hand but on Dylan.

She hadn't expected seeing him to hit her so hard.

Seeing him...so okay.

She supposes she hadn't expected him to be miserable. Depressed.

But after that night in the hospital...

She can feel the hairs on her neck stand to a point as she hears, rather vividly, the displeased tone of his voice.

"Rory, I need you to go—"

"Please...Dylan, wait—"

"No. No, I don't fucking want you here. I want you to go—"

"Don't make me go. I can't...I...baby, please don't do this—"

"I don't know what else you want me to fucking say, Rory. I don't fucking love you anymore and I can't do this shit. All right? It's already bad enough and I can't...I can't do this with you. It's over."

She remembers exactly how it felt to see the disgust written all over his face as he looked at her. The way she'd tried to grab his hand and he flinched.

He flinched.

Moved away from her and told her to go. Despite each plea. Despite each beg to just...listen. To talk it through.

And each time, she was met with a resounding no. A rejection so deep, she's not sure she ever resurfaced.

A couple of days after he'd gotten home from the hospital, she went to his house. Mostly to check on him. Perhaps even...see his face one last time. A face she'd grown so comfortable around. A face she saw when she closed her eyes.

She couldn't imagine not being around him anymore.

It had already been hard enough.

He refused to see her. Kept his door locked as she stayed in the hallway, leaning against the surface, pleading with him quietly to just...talk to her.

She'd never felt so low. Never felt so humiliated while begging a boy to stay in her life.

But...the hollow in her heart was inescapable. The grief that consumed her at the thought of losing him...twice.

He had been quiet. But she knew he was listening.

Felt him sit on the opposite side of the door, his back against hers as they just...stayed. In each other's presence. The closest they'd ever be again.