z e r o

"Akira." A sound of a speeding car blew past them.

"What do you think is gonna happen from here? We finally destroyed the Jails and defeated the mastermind behind EMMA. Mementos is gone, I'm still here, and everyone is free once more thanks to the Phantom Thieves of Hearts."

He hummed in response, tapping his feet against the floor while leaning onto the railing of the balcony.

"Everyone else instantly got busy after that one ride of a trip. Time's just gone by so fast. Makoto and Haru has gotten busier continuing college. Ryūji is surprisingly more focused on his studies. Ann pursuing her modeling career with Morgana staying with her in the meantime. There's Futaba pursuing track and getting out of her room more! Can you believe that? And she's socializing with people, Mishima-san especially! She has made great progress." Both of them chuckled.

"Yuuske.. chasing goals wherever his heart takes him; Mr. Zenkichi and Akane's bond has gotten better as father and daughter, and Sophia continues down her path with Ms. Ichinose to further understand the human heart. You, on the other hand, is planning to pursue a justice-related career in order to prevent people from experiencing your previous situation, right? And you'll leave because summer will be over soon; it's got to be nice to have something to do.."

"What about you?" She looks over to him, surprised that he spoke up.

"Me?" She wondered out loud, "What about me? There's no future for me when there are no Phantom Thieves, I don't feel like I completely belong in this world, you know? I disappeared the first time we destroyed mementos, but this time I'm still here."

"Then there should be something.... something out there you can search for, [Name]. You're still here, aren't you?"

"I am, aren't I? But where will can I go? What should I do? What do I chase after? The world is big, the thieves taught me a lot during my experiences out here.. but everything is still so.. new? I've lived in mementos for so long, it's kind of.. surreal? You know? Even though the fact that mementos is gone is something to be celebrated, I kind of miss it already. This feeling is slightly similar to when Akechi.."

He visibly went silent at the mention of his rival, [Name] decided not to finish her sentence. He took a deep breath, "Grief, you're grieving. When you feel sadness over the loss of something.."

"Grieving.. Was that the word? I often felt that too when I stayed in the metaverse, I thought it was just.. sadness."

Ren seems to be in thought all of a sudden. A short silence greeted them as they stare at the cars beneath them, passing by. He turned to her.

"I have a proposal, then."

She only hums back at him as a response.

"What if.. you come with me? With that, we can discover all sorts of things in this world, good or bad. We can start by exploring my hometown, Inaba, in the rural area. It's completely different and much smaller than the things you see here in Tokyo but.. I'm sure you'll enjoy the change of scenery." Ren smiled, genuinely. A smile so charming, making [Name] have a strange warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

"Is.. is this what people mean by asking each other out..?" She asked, confused, turning to look at him.

"Ah, no, no.. It's not like that.. Uh.. Think of it as a request?"

'He looks a bit red.."

"Either way.." She smiles, "I'll choose to stay by your side! Until I find my drive in this world."

"And I'll help you find your drive."

"And that, you will. Will that be a contract, trickster?"

"Why not?" Her smile grew wider. "It's a win-win, isn't it, Reaper?"

"The deal is settled, then. This town of Inaba already sounds nice on your vague description of it.. So don't let me down, Amamiya Ren."

His eyes are intense, paired with his signature grin.

"Who said I will?"

I am thou..

Thou art I..