Her Story

Coming from a rich and influential Filipino-Chinese family, Isabelle Marie Chen or Ellie, as she is commonly known by her family and friends, doesn't need to slave over her nine to five job as an editor at a food and lifestyle magazine. But she chose to because she loves her job and it combines two of her most favorite things in the world which are writing and FOOD.

Being the eldest daughter of Henry and Sylvia Chen, one of the most influential couples in the country, she was expected to inherit and run the business together with his brother in the future. Since, Brian, her brother is still in middle school, she can't expect too much from him but to focus on his studies. At first, her dad was against the whole idea of her working as an editor at some company but in the end decided to give in for her daughter's happiness. She also promised to take part of the family business while doing her job.

Although little is known to the public about the Chen's due to her father's desire to keep their family life private, her family's net worth is rumoured to be in the trillions. Over-all they have businesses not only in the Philippines but also in 123 countries around the world.

This year, Ellie turned 22 years old, and although she is still young her father had been itching for her to get married. He has been setting up dates with the sons of his friends in the business industry for her daughter. But Ellie didn't show any signs of interest for all the men she met. In fact, her last serious relationship with a guy was two years ago when she was still in college. Her dad was getting worried because all he wants for her daughter is to have someone by her side who'll love her for her and make her happy. Though he preferred having a son-in-law who is Chinese or has Chinese blood and is also into business, he really doesn't care much as long as he would love his daughter. But Ellie was too focused on her dream and she wasn't planning to get married any time soon.

She has this goal to open her own restaurant and maybe have her own family in the far future and live a quiet and happy life. That's why she is working hard to earn even though her parents always tell her that they will give her the capital to start up her business, she would always decline. She wanted to make a name for herself and not only be known as the heiress to the Chen group of companies.

One day at the office, all the editors were called up in a meeting for their special year-end issue that will feature international cuisines. They will be sending their editors all over Asia and immerse in the different foods and cultures of each country. This special issue will be published 7 months from now and they expect it to be big that is why they are putting all efforts to prepare for it. When the assignment was out and she found out that she was assigned to go to South Korea she was ecstatic. This is because 1) she always wanted to go there, 2) she wanted to visit their business establishments there and 3) she was a fan of Korean food ever since college when she had a Korean exchange student as her roommate, Yaerim, who would always cook for her before at their dorm. And she was even more excited when she found out that she will be staying there for 3 months.

"Ellie, are you going to be ok without seeing me for three months? I know you're going to miss me." , Brian, her brother, jokingly said.

"Are you really going to be ok, hon? I mean, you don't speak a single word of Korean.", her mother said.

"Yes mom, I'm going to be ok. I spent two semesters with Yaerim remember, I know the basics at the very least. And besides she's going to meet me there and help me with the project I'm working on." Ellie assured her family.

Ellie met Yoo Yaerim when she was in college. She was her Korean roommate and one of her best friends. Even though they had communication issues because of the language barrier they were still very close, and still understood each other, sometimes even without talking to each other. They were like sisters. Yaerim was also the one who introduced her to Korean food which she loved eating, especially kimchi.

She was scheduled to leave for Korea in two week's time and she was having mixed feeling because she will surely miss her family and friends but she was excited as well for a new adventure.

"Ellie, are you ready for your trip next week. Don't forget to pack everything you need because you'll be staying there for quite a while."

"Don't worry dad. I've been ready since it was announced that I'm going there. Haha."

"Want me to get you a place to stay there. I have a couple business partners there, I'm pretty sure they'll agree to let you stay in one of there hotels."

"Dad, you are worrying too much. Our company has arranged everything including my accommodation there."

"I'm just really worried for you, Ellie. You will be travelling alone and staying at a place where you know no one."

"You don't have to be daddy, I'll be calling you every day. That is if I'm not busy." She said teasing her father.

It was finally the day when she was leaving for Korea and she was extremely excited about it. She woke up early and organized her luggage and was ready to go. Her parents and brother sent her off at the airport. And she just took off like that, off to a new place unaware of what's to come, unaware of who she'll meet, unaware that she was about to experience the biggest change in her life soon.☺