Chapter Three - The Bathroom

Tundra POV

"Okay, what was that?!" Doggy yelled, slamming his mug on the table and taking an angry sip out of it. I didn't even think that it was possible to sip something angrily, but Doggy definitely managed it. "You had enough time to catch up to him!"

"Don't you think it's a bit too...over-the-top, though?"

"What's over the top?"

"The jail sentence he was on," I say, trying to calm him down a bit so he'd listen. If I was being honest, I had no idea why I didn't catch up. "Don't you feel like a year was a bit too severe? He didn't crash into anybody."

Doggy blew on his coffee and chugged it in one go. "Doesn't give him the right to break the law. You know what the Capitol's like, they've given orders to soldiers to attack animals on sight! We're role models. We can't change a jail sentence!" He places the mug down with a resigned huff. "I wish I could do the right thing, too. But it's what we have to do, not what we want to do."

"Doggy. Tundra." a voice says, and we whip around to face one of the Capitol soldiers. They've obviously caught on to the fox's escape. "Still arguing, I assume."

"Oh--uhm," I clear my throat at this and look down. "It's my mistake. I'll go get him if you want me to."

The soldier doesn't move. "Head up, officer. And the Capitol do want you to get him. Except, they want you to bring him to them and they'll decide what to do," they tell me. "Can't have someone making a fool out of 'em."

"Yeah. I mean, of course," and with that, the soldier makes their way out of the room, leaving Doggy to glare at me. "You better get geared up. It's becoming dark outside. Make it clear you're a police officer, and they won't shoot you with a tranquilizer." he says, and turns back to face his computer.

I think he's just afraid that my mistake would get him in serious trouble. He wants to start a family with someone, or have a relationship to make him feel less alone because Poley, a senior officer (who happens to be good friends with Doggy), got taken off the force for being 'too old', and Doggy hasn't been the same since.

The streets are dead-empty. So much for Lucella being a night city. As I drive around in the police car, scanning the streets, I spot a pig. He's scurrying around, running into this old abandoned apartment block, and I drive the car over to take a closer look. He's not meant to be out here at this time; is disobeying the curfew becoming a common thing now? No guards are around, either. A perfect place to be. 

Inside, it's dirty and rusty. Barely any furniture is around, except for a bathroom with the light still on. I feel like there's a cold hand pushing me forward despite wondering if that pig was armed. The bathroom, like the rest of the apartment, is dirty and old. 

"Hey."

I jump, not expecting anyone to be here. Standing in front of the bathroom mirror is a lanky, skinny skunk with heavy makeup on and a huge fur coat, putting on lip gloss in the mirror. She's eyeing me using the mirror, and I realise I've been gripping my radio on my belt so tightly it hurts. "Urm. Hello," I say back. She takes one look at my police uniform and narrows her eyes. "Weather's letting up, huh?"

"What? No, it's--" I know she's changing the subject. "--actually, I'm looking for a pig. He was scampering around here. And no, you can't lie. I know when you're lying." And for effect, I reach down and tap my taser. She just laughs. "Oh, no. Don't tell me-- you really believe the 'good cop, bad cop' thing's gonna work?"

I say nothing in reply. She drops her lip gloss and begins to crack up. "PFFFFFFT--"

"Hey, shut it!" I yell over her, "I'm on duty here and I won't hesitate to get you arrested!" Suddenly, I feel someone push past me and the pig, who I was looking for, is in front of me, looking at the skunk with his arms crossed. "Are you done yet, Sheila?"

She starts to calm down. "Yep."

"Good. I need to get down there, okay?" And with that, the pig reaches into a crack in the wall and shoves the entire wall to the right, revealing a large hallway with a stairway going underground.

Sheila flicks her gaze back to me. "What about the cop?"

"She's coming with me."

__________________+_________________+______________

People with logic: "Why doesn't Tundra just arrest them immediately??"

Uhh... Plot convenience I guess?? 

This probably doesn't make any sense lol 

By the way, this is really long. I don't have the time to add illustrations for now, but I'm making a cover! 

 I don't have the time to add illustrations for now, but I'm making a cover!