Song of the century

"Oh, Rare bird, How I long for thee. My dear Lucille, how I long for the rare bird that is your grace. Is she devine, is it the wine? Okay, don't sing along, right." Marie mumbled from back stage.

Lucille finished singing and took her bow before walking over to Marie.

"Marie, before my next show, I need you to grab something for me." Lucille said. A rare sight, to say the least.

"Yes mademoiselle, I will be sure to grab whatever it is." She said, bowing.

"Good, I need at least 2 bouquets from the finest florist in Paris."

"Yes mademoiselle, whatever you say."

Lucille walked away, leaving Marie in awe of her beauty.

A sleepy eyed Marie walked to her apartment. She didn't have money for a car. That was a luxury, and she worked at the Rare bird.

The next morning Marie woke up with the roosters caw. If she was going to be able to make it to the other side of town and back, she would need to start early.

Marie worked her way through the streets of Paris, passing many a sights.
Mundane, to say the least.

By midday she was at the greatest florist in Paris, a botanist.

She knocked on the door of the huge glass building. A small, white monkey opened it.

"Hello kind sir! Is the professor in?"

The monkey held up a card.

"'Dear Raoul, I'm in New York for a conference, just leave the seeds outside. In my absence, Charles will take care of it.' May I ask, who is Raoul?"

The monkey held up another card reading, no good.

"Oh, I see. Well, I am not Raoul, and I need 2 bouquets by tonight."

The monkey grabbed Marie by the sleeve and pulled her inside. He pulled her through an indoor forest leading into a lab.

"Charles, if that is your name, how quickly will these be done?"

The monkey held up a finger as he put flower seeds into a small tray. He sprayed the seeds with barely a drop of a mysterious green liquid. He then took the seeds and put them into a small indoor pond.

Before her very eyes, the seeds grew into a full blown bouquet.

"That's amazing Charles! Madam Lucille will love these!"

"Thank you again Charles!" Marie said as she left the green house for the long walk back to the Rare bird.

Another long, mundane walk later, Marie was at the rare bird, and just before showtime, too!

"Mademoiselle, I am back with flowers!"

"Thank God Marie! You were almost too late! Put those in my dressing room, and give me that white rose!" Lucille said, snatching one of the flowers from the bouquets and putting it in her hair.

She walked with a certain confidence that was just her style. She looked like she owned the place.

Marie stumbled into Lucille's dressing room, bouquets in hand. Just then there was a knock on the door.

"I'll be one moment!" Marie said, putting the bouquets wherever she found space.

She opened the door to her coworker, Albert.

"Albert, what is it?"

"Gift from the comitioner. Put it on the vanity." Albert said, shoving yet another bouquet into her hands.

Marie sighed as she shoved one of her bouquets away to make room for the comitioner's.

"Marie, out of my room, now!" Lucille screamed.

Marie scurried away as the owner of the rare bird walked in and slammed the door behind her.

Marie took a moment to compose herself as she walked outside. She saw a middle-aged couple walking past her. They were talking about Lucille. Marie just had to listen in.

She sneaked behind them as they were talking. Suddenly the woman's pearl necklace broke and beads fell on the ground.

The man went to go pick the pearls up when something could be seen lurking in the shadows. The man didn't seem to notice until the creature was right on top of him. The woman screamed as Marie watched on in terror.

The couple ran away as the monster picked up the man's coat. Suddenly it was looking right at Marie.