T H R E E

The Faces. Creatures of the dead, spirits reborn into the world of living, but were most known with the terminology: ghosts. Some say a witch or sorcerer cursed them to only roam The Woods of the Lemora Empire, others say that they were bound by the gods to only lurk in the foliage.

As a hunter my first instinct was to analyze my opponent, find weakness or flaws in them. So as the mysterious young ghost killed the snake, I was already rummaging through my mind for stories or pieces of rumors that told of a weakness in the ghosts. 

I had heard that any one of The Faces was incapable of interacting physically with any living thing  for too long, which meant that since the girl had killed the python, she must not have enough energy for me.

So I spoke my voice shaky and fraying, " You...you can't kill me. Ghosts are incapable of physically interacting with mortals for too long."

I tried to sound confident and what I said must have been true for the girl's face donned a grim expression. The ghost spoke, " You think I'm the only one who could kill you. Who could twist your bones and mind from inside out. I have friends, ghost friends."

The young girl or the ghost brought back the same smile, a wicked grin on her almost translucent lips. At the beck of her words, other ghosts, other Faces poured out into the clearing of The Woods. I was trapped once again at the hands of creatures that were known for tearing apart human flesh as well as their soul. Possessing any human and then forcing them to tear themself apart.

Each one of the ghosts say my name, like whispers in a wind, until almost a chorus of voices were  saying "Lena Kay Letorra." The young girl who had killed the python smiled as the other Faces drew in closer to me, ready to posses me  and force me to tear apart my flesh and soul.

Everywhere around me was enclosed by a circular formation of ghosts, leaving me no place to go. So this is how I would die, killed by the hands of spirits, and no one would reminisce over my death. The people of The Kingdom already probably thought me to be dead, killed by the teeth of a wolf or razor sharp claws of a bear. 

Suddenly, the ghosts stopped in their march forward and each one of them turned their loosely white translucent heads backwards. Even the young girl turned to look at the sight. Whoever was marching forward was clearly a leader to The Faces. Every single ghost parted as two figures approached, a male and a female.

It was impossible. 

Improbable.

Yet coming my way was two people I hadn't seen in a long time. 

My parents.

They looked no different from when I had last seen them when they were alive at the age of six, other than the fact they were ghosts now. But I had thought them to be dead. Heads chopped off at a public execution due to crimes they had committed, blood spilling on hard wooden planks, and an axe that rolled through flesh and bone easily.

But here they were standing before me as spirits from the dead. 

Before I could speak or move, they said at the same time, 

" Hello, Daughter."

(ℌ𝔦 𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶𝔬𝔫𝔢 𝔱𝔥𝔞𝔫𝔨 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔡𝔦𝔫𝔤. ℭ𝔥𝔢𝔠𝔨 𝔬𝔲𝔱 𝔪𝔶 𝔬𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯 𝔟𝔬𝔬k 𝔠𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔢𝔡 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔠𝔯𝔬𝔴𝔫...)

(Link:https://www.wattpad.com/story/319561698-the-crown)