Prologue

Wylder Wolf Tate. That's me. Your average 19 year old girl, well average is a bit far fetched, I was supposedly special in my family. My parents always said it, uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, the whole Clann believed it.

What's special about me? The question I've been trying to answer my whole life but can't seem to crack it. Why are my brothers not special? That question my parents would never answer.

My brothers, Braxton Hawk Tate and Tidas Tate were always like my best friends. Braxton is my older brother, he just turned 24. Tidas my younger brother is 13.

My parents died when I was 6, Tidas had just been born. It was heart wrenching for me and my brothers. My Uncle Finn took us in and reared us in his little cottage near the coast of Inishowen.

I grew up with little knowledge of my parents, Braxton would sit me and Tidas down by the fire every night and tell the adventures of mum and dad, he did it so well, reenacting everything, we were engrossed. Braxton remembers mum and dad's death, but he never tells us the story, in fact my whole Clann would never tell us. Braxton was 11 when they died, it's a touchy subject for everyone so I never bring it up. Tidas however never knows when enough is enough.

I've heard Braxton cry atnight. It hurts him, I know, I can hear it in his cries. Every night, after he tucks Tidas and me in bed he goes to his room, locks the door, throws Pretender by Foo Fighters on his stereo to cover up the noise of his whimpers. Besides, he's 24 he probably doesn't want people to know that he sobs like a baby but I don't blame him. I wish I could make his pain stop.

Tidas is another story. He asks question after question after question, insensitive to the feelings of others around him. He's what you would call headstrong. He hates mum and dad because Braxton and me got middle names, in our Clann middle names are vital, they describe your spirit. Tidas was never given one as far as we know. We joke with him and say its something like Swan or Chicken, he doesn't take it to well. Middle names, known as Insights, were of huge importance, and majority of the time it was an animal. In the future when you get married, YUCK, your partner had to be of the same kind, that's just how it was. Mine is Wolf therefore when I get married, YUCK, my husband will have to be in the Wild Dog category. My brother Braxton is Hawk so he can only marry in the Bird category, it's a pain but that's the way the Clann's Of Old ordered it.