Chapter 9

~1999~

Jeongyeon chased Nayeon and saw her sitting on a bench outside, behind the clinic.

"Unnie, what's wrong?" Jeongyeon worriedly asked as she crouched down in front of Nayeon.

"A-ah, nothing! I just... I got thirsty a-and looked for water but I got tired, so... yeah." Nayeon replied and showed a smile to Jeongyeon, which the latter knows that it's fake.

"You could've just told me. Wait here, I'll get some." Jeongyeon stood up and went to get water from the clinic. Yes, the water dispenser was inside, that's why Jeongyeon knew Nayeon was lying. She immediately went back and handed Nayeon a glass of water.

"Ah... today is really hot, right?" Nayeon blurted out after drinking.

"Unnie, what ha—"

"Are the people already at the venue? Iwonder why the village is too quiet." Nayeon interrupted. Jeongyeon knew she was avoiding the questions, so she chose not to ask furthermore.

"Oh... I think so." Jeongyeon simply replied and smiled. "It feels like it's just the two of us in this world."

"Did the girls go there, too? Why are you here anyway?"

"Oh fuck! Right! Oh my god, how can I forget!? God, Jihyo might kill me!" Jeongyeon panicked and immediately offered her back to Nayeon. "Come on, unnie! We're going to be late!"

Nayeon, still confused, had no choice but to ride on Jeongyeon's back. "Where are we going?—Hey! Slow down!" She exclaimed as Jeongyeon started running.

"I was looking for you since the girls wanted to go to the event! Jihyo is waiting for us at the shore! A-and it's been an hour since I came here!" Jeongyeon huffed as she ran faster, careful enough to hold Nayeon on her back firmly. "Fuck, she's going to kill me!"

"There she is!" Nayeon caught a small figure, a distance away from them, with a piercing glare that could bore holes to their bodies. "Jihyo-ya!"

"YOO JEONGYEON!" Jihyo shouted louder than a speaker. The said girl winced while panting. Nayeon wad still on her back. "I told you to hurry up, you idiot! What took you so long!?"

"No time to explain, Thomas! Let's get the others and go!" Jeongyeon replied, which made Nayeon confused.

"We can be late you know. It's not like there's one of us joining in that talent show." Nayeon shrugged as they started running back to where the others are waiting.

"A-actually... we registered your name, unnie. You're going to sing there." Jihyo explained.

"WHAT!?"

~~~~

"Unnie!" Chaeyoung shouted as she waved from the shore. She was waiting for the three who came from the neighboring island to fetch Nayeon. "Hurry up! The event might end soon!" She added and helped them get off the boat. "They're waiting at the roadside. Come on!"

"W-what is this?" Nayeon hesitated when she saw where Chaeyoung headed. It was a slightly rusty, empty metal wagon, which is usually used to carry small loads of sacks.

"Just hop in, unnie. Trust us." Jihyo assured and helped Nayeon up.

Jeongyeon immediately positioned herself in front, holding the two metal sticks attached to the wagon for her to be able to pull it. Of course she's going to do that, she's stubborn.

"All set?" Jeongyeon asked and turned to Nayeon. The older girl gave her a thumbs up and she immediately started pulling the wagon, with Jihyo and Chaeyoung tailing behind it.