Chapter 4: Apology

[name] held the maid's body in his hands. He had no time to understand the situation and looked at the monster in front of him. "What have you done you monster? How could you have done this!?" The rage in his voice surprised even Penelope.

The Duke walked out of the room in fury and walked towards his office.

[name] didn't know what to do but hold the body close. She was like a mother to him and was rightfully the only person he could share everything with.

Penelope, who was still outside the door, froze. She had caused her demise. She was the one who said those words to her yet she can't bring herself to comfort her brother. Out of guilt, she walked away slowly. How could she tell him that she was the cause of everything?

[name]'s favorability: 29%

Penelope took another step away from the room.

[name]'s favorability: 27%

Then another step.

[name]'s favorability: 25%

Then another.

[name]'s favorability: 23%

Then another.

[name]'s favorability: 21%

Penelope darted towards her room. The system's voice boomed out through her bran but she could only ignore it.

19%

17%

15%

13%

11%

9%

7%

5%

3%

........

1%

.........

-1%

-3%

Then....

-30%

The system requests for you to stop.

Only then did Penelope stop. Did [name] saw her? Did he know all this time? What would happen now?

[name]'s favorability: -30%

Penelope will need to work harder.

Work harder? How will she manage to do that? After all, the maid was closer to [name] than she ever was. She had been with [name] through thick and thin and was a mother figure to him.

She can't work back all those points now, now that he knows about everything.

Penelope walked slowly towards her room while her thoughts run towards the ending awaiting her afterwards, a terrifying death. She opened the door and sat on the bed.

Her head stooped low and she felt as if the world was judging her. She had never felt more lonely, not even in her previous life.

Suddenly, a knock interrupted her train of thought. It scared her more than death itself. She couldn't move. Her breath caught in her throat. It felt like everything was closing in on her.

"My Lady? It is Emily." Penelope let out a sigh of relief. She fixed herself and replied, "Come in."

Emily opened the door slowly, like she feared something.

"My Lady, the Duke wants to see you in his office." Emily bows down. Penelope fixes her hair and walks out the door with Emily following closely behind.

"My Lady, I suggest to you to not anger the Duke. He just had a fight with Master [name] and is quite angered right now." Emily whispered in a low voice. Penelope hummed in approval and knocked on the door, which stood before her.

"Come in." A low voice replied.

Then Penelope opened the door. Inside was the Duke, all messed up with his hand supporting his head.

"Did you call for me?"

"Ah yes, take a seat here." The Duke stood up and take something from the shelf. Penelope stared at him but quickly look away when the Duke take something out.

He walked back to the place she was sitting and kneeled in front of her.

"I want to give this to you. It is precious so I want you to take good care of it." It was a beautiful ring with beautiful jewels decorating it.

"If it is so precious, why give it to me?" Penelope replied while looking at the ring.

"Don't question me." The Duke said as he placed the ring in her hand. Penelope got up to leave and right as she put her hand on the door handle.

"I'm sorry."

Penelope turned her head to look at him but dismissed it. Outside was chaos. Doctors and physicians running around everywhere. All of them having a terrified look on their face.

"Emily, what is going on?" Emily looked down, afraid to answer her.

"Master [name] called for them. His maid had....been hit by the Duke and..."

Penelope cut her off there. She doesn't want to hear the state of the situation right now.

They walk towards [name]'s room and opened the door quietly.

"My Lady, what are you going to do?" Emily spoke just right above a whisper. Penelope didn't answer her but look at the worried face of [name].

"I'm sorry." She muttered quietly and closed the door. Little did she know that [name] had known she was there all along.

I don't want your apology.