Prolouge

One year ago. . .

He stood off from the house in the shadows, watching the flames. He heard the sirens from the fire trucks coming.

He stood further into the shadows, hoping no one was going to see him. The engines arrived, and he saw her.

Lieutenant Erin Wilson.

"Get water on the flames! And get a team inside in case there are people still in there!" the lieutenant in charge called.

"Sir, Erin and Luke are ready to go in, waiting on your order," Nate said to him.

"Alright send them in," the lieutenant ordered. "A Station 3 Rescue Squad will be here soon. Have one of their teams go in after Erin and Luke."

"Yes, Sir."

The Station 3 Rescue Squad arrived and was sent in after Erin and Luke, who were already looking for victims.

They hoped there wouldn't be anyone.

No one would probably be alive.

The smoke was thick and toxic and low to the floor. The fire wasn't visible-which meant bad things. They needed to find where the smoke was coming from.

"Luke, Station 3's Rescue Squad has arrived. They are inside," Nathan radioed to Luke.

"Got it," Luke answered.

"Erin, Station 3's Rescue Squad is on-site and inside."

"Yeah, I know. I just met up with Ashton."

"10-4."

Erin moved up the stairs and started searching the rooms clockwise, hoping to find someone-anyone, but of course, there was no way someone was still alive.

"Luke, I got someone," Ashton radioed.

"Got it. Erin, Casey, meet us there," Luke said.

"On it," Casey O'Malley replied.

"Yes, sir," Erin answered.

Erin and Casey met up in the hallway of the home and moved toward the back bedroom. Ashton and Luke there.

"Dead?" Erin questioned.

"No, let's get them out of here." Ash told them.

Erin nodded. Luke picked up the kid and started down the stairs, the fire roaring behind them. Lieutenant Jack Wilson soon arrived on scene. Unsure of the dangers his sister and Rescue 1 were in.

"Nate, is my sister in there?" Jack asked walking up to Nathan Cain.

Nate nodded.

"I told her not going in," Jack muttered to himself. "Find me the lieutenant in charge."

"Yes, Lieutenant."