UNTRUSTWORTHY

dawn winery hosts a lot of parties. this specific one was a masquerade ball. while trying to greet all of his guests, diluc runs into a lady wearing a butterfly dress and later ends up dancing with her. however, her work makes her untrustworthy.

diluc x fem fatui reader
also yes i did make up butterfly mages for this shut it

——
tonight was just another one of those nights. another party. diluc absolutely hated them, but considering he owned the dawn winery, he had to be there. he was never really a social person so parties were his worst nightmare.

tonight was the usual, waiting by the door to greet all of the guests that were coming. hello after hello and handshake after handshake. he was bored and had lost his will to live. at this point he was wondering why he still allowed the dawn winery to host these extravagant parties.

diluc was wearing a black suit with a black mask to match. the only real colour on him was the red bow tie and the red on the underside of his gloves. he didn't want to put too much thought nor effort into a party he couldn't care less about.

by now most of the guests had arrived and they all seemed to be lost in a world of socialising with each other. which was fine for diluc because he wasn't involved.
one guest had caught his eye though, she had just walked in and was wearing a stunning butterfly themed dress that looked like it came right out of a fairy tale. of course, she had the mask to match. once diluc had realised he was staring, he walked over to her to welcome her since he failed to do so at the door.

"apologies for not being there when you arrived, i failed to give you the greeting you deserve."
"my, aren't you a gentleman ? you must be diluc ragnvindr, right ?"
"indeed i am. once again i apologise for being ungentlemanly." diluc leaned down to kiss the top of her hand, meeting her gaze afterwards. she chuckled at this, which gave diluc a sudden reality check. he snapped back up in a heartbeat, a little embarrassed over his actions.
"you apologise too much, dear, though it is quite cute."
"cute ..?" he let the word echo in his mind. it seemed unreal that anyone would use the word 'cute' to describe the one and only diluc ragnvindr.

slowly, the strange woman walked off, and diluc found himself following her. he was intrigued until she stepped on the dance floor. he knew exactly where this was going.
"if you want me to dance then i'd have to politely decline-"
"i was planning on dancing by myself for now anyway."
"oh. then i'll leave you to it." the redhead thought for a moment before attempting to turn around, only to be stopped by a gentle hand around his wrist.
"do you perhaps know any suitable dance partners or would you like to volunteer yourself later ?"
"whichever's easier." diluc replied, sounding harsher than he intended. he internally grimaced, hoping that she wouldn't get upset by his sudden change.

seemingly unaffected by it, the woman smiled at him. through the mask, diluc was able to tell that she looked gorgeous when she smiled. even her eyes twinkled under the lights.
as his brain was completely frying from the strange lady's beauty, diluc became slightly more bold. he felt a connection with this lady - or at least he hoped - and wanted to impress her.

"what if i volunteered myself now ?"
the butterfly lady was visibly shocked by this but tried to play it off.
"why that would be wonderful." they smiled at each other for a second before diluc put his hand on her lower back while also holding onto her other hand. following his lead, the butterfly lady put her hand on the front of dilucs shoulder.

~
they stayed dancing to slow songs for a few hours. those few hours, however, felt like just a few seconds. they almost instantly connected and had quite a few things in common. that night felt perfect and it was the only party diluc had ever enjoyed. he only had one regret

he never got her name

sighing to himself, diluc decided it was time to get up and get to work. he quickly got ready while letting thoughts of the butterfly lady invade his mind.
since he had nothing better to do, diluc walked over to mondstadt hoping that a night shift in the angels share would manage to distract him from his thoughts of the party. he was completely unaware of his surroundings until he was inside of the tavern, the smell of alcohol and sounds of bards and drunk adults flooding his senses.
something felt wrong though.

upon spotting a table of fatui soldiers, diluc was fully prepared to make them leave until he noticed something strange. there was a girl with them and she had quite a lot of butterfly imagery making up her outfit. she looked up and met eyes with diluc, almost immediately putting her head down again.
she had the same butterfly mask .. it had to be her ...
but .. why ? why did she have to be with the fatui ? for once diluc finally felt happy, but the universe once again cursed him with misery.

instead of thinking much about it, diluc walked behind the counter and tried to shut off his thoughts for the rest of the night.
after a few hours, the fatui soldiers were leaving. diluc was relieved.
however, the butterfly lady stayed, watching diluc from her corner in the tavern. she wanted to go and talk to him but couldn't.

eventually she grew tired of this, but as she was going to leave the tavern diluc finally decided to speak up.
"why ?"
"pardon ?"
"why didn't you tell me ?"
"because it always gets in the way of everything. i wanted to enjoy myself for at least one night but like always my job has ruined it again. i'm sorry, i really am .. i would've told you but i just really needed a friend, even just a temporary one."
diluc sighed. he knew exactly what she meant.

but some things are just not meant to be.
and with that the butterfly lady left the tavern and dilucs life.

once again did not read through this but i will eventually and there's a chance i'll make a part 2 for this
but anyway cya for a while as usual 💀